Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have an old focus with a cassette player and i use only of those fangles that is a cassette with a wire that has a 1/8 jack on the end plugin into my non-ipod player. the cassette has no tape just a head that is constantly receiving music data

my problem is this, back in the day when cassettes were used you would have music on both sides so you would have the player auto switch sides to continue playback,
however wen using said fangle it keeps switching which interupts the music and is quite annoying,

can i turn this auto switch side off???

tthx

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i didnt kno they had a cassett option?

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
wow, good question, i dont think there is a way to turn this off, might be time for an upgrade?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, good question, i dont think there is a way to turn this off, might be time for an upgrade?
NOOOOO!!!! no upgrade, i can see it being a lot of hassle as it also has the steering column control, would a new radio system be compatible with the existing control? i wouldn't imagine it would be

there must be a way, if it aint broke dont fix it

it is a 98 so yeah its there, atm my long journeys are stuck listening to radio 1 which is ok some of the time but i would like the option

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had the cassette player in my 2001.. I used the cassette adapter for my XM. I had no problems with it switching "sides" until the cassette adapter get hot. Then it would start switching at odd times...

I replaced the cassette adapter and that fixed the problem....

There is no way to turn off the auto switching feature...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
wow good luck. hang on to that no one is going to break into your car for the stereo.
By the way if you do upgrade save the old faceplate to hide the new one. There is a how to out there somewhere. basicly you thin down the faceplate and buttons and mount them on a card with some velcrow, then when you leave you use the card to cover teh head unit. WHen someone looks in your car it looks like a cassete player...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow good luck. hang on to that no one is going to break into your car for the stereo.
By the way if you do upgrade save the old faceplate to hide the new one. There is a how to out there somewhere. basicly you thin down the faceplate and buttons and mount them on a card with some velcrow, then when you leave you use the card to cover teh head unit. WHen someone looks in your car it looks like a cassete player...
clever tip there,
yeah im not in the best of areas when it comes to car safety, two mates have had their stereos nicked this uni yr

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well, the way the old tape decks worked was that it would switch sides when the tape head sensed that the tape was at the end of the reel. The tape would go tight and disengage the tape head and it would reverse playback.
My guess is that being there is no resistance from the tape the system does not know what to do.

About all I can say is maybe you can play with spring pressure in the adapter or remove the switch mecanism from the stock desk.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i had one do this in my old car and i flipped over the cassette adapter and it worked fine after that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What's a cassette?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
NOOOOO!!!! no upgrade, i can see it being a lot of hassle as it also has the steering column control, would a new radio system be compatible with the existing control? i wouldn't imagine it would be
Actually, a lot of Pioneers are compatible with steering wheel controls. It requires an extra adapter that interfaces the vehicles wiring harness with the "wired remote input" on the back of the deck. I know some Sony's can do it as well.

·
Registered
470 Posts
PAC also makes steering wheel control adapters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts