Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay has anyone hooked up their wifi that uses a hidden SSID Address. Can't find a way to enter an SSID.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Why do you want to hide it? As I understand how the cars router is setup, it wont let any device you haven't authorized hook up through selective mac addressing.

Plus, ya know the fact you're in a mobile vehicle that has intermittent connectivity anyhow wouldn't really make it a likely target for hackers.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My home wifi is hidden. When the Federal Marshall come to your office and sit all the employee's down in the lunch room and tell everyone that there has been identity theft within the HR department of your company. Then they tell each and everyone of us the do's and don'ts of US mail box all the way to your personnel home internet you learn to take advise.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My home wifi is hidden. When the Federal Marshall come to your office and sit all the employee's down in the lunch room and tell everyone that there has been identity theft within the HR department of your company. Then they tell each and everyone of us the do's and don'ts of US mail box all the way to your personnel home internet you learn to take advise.
you home WIFI should be hidden, as well as have a complicated security key for it. quite different than one in the car, as said above no one is going to hack into your cars WIFI. but you house is a definate target

·
Registered
20 Posts
you home WIFI should be hidden, as well as have a complicated security key for it. quite different than one in the car, as said above no one is going to hack into your cars WIFI. but you house is a definate target
I have been meaning to get out with my car and start sniffing packets to see what is going on, but have not had time lately. I appreciate RDJTX's sentiment that "no one is going to hack into your cars WIFI", but with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about, and this car's entertainment system is now operated by Microsoft. Microsoft + Internet connectivity = Risk with a capital R.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I disabled the hidden SSID on my network and got the Wifi to connect. Once I was done, I hid my network again. Once the car discovered the network and connected there was no need to enter the SSID and the passkey again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have been meaning to get out with my car and start sniffing packets to see what is going on, but have not had time lately. I appreciate RDJTX's sentiment that "no one is going to hack into your cars WIFI", but with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about, and this car's entertainment system is now operated by Microsoft. Microsoft + Internet connectivity = Risk with a capital R.
dude, I do this shit for a living and have been for 30+ years. there are many many more stable and easier things to hack into that a car's WIFI. not only is it mobile and the connection unstable but unless there is power applied the WIFI does not work (at least that is what I understand) so what is the point of trying to hack into a car's WIFI? oh right there isn't any.

so you get out and do your packet sniffing, post up the results with screen shots. If you find even ONE car that you can hack into I will retract my words ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
dude, I do this shit for a living and have been for 30+ years. there are many many more stable and easier things to hack into that a car's WIFI. not only is it mobile and the connection unstable but unless there is power applied the WIFI does not work (at least that is what I understand) so what is the point of trying to hack into a car's WIFI? oh right there isn't any.

so you get out and do your packet sniffing, post up the results with screen shots. If you find even ONE car that you can hack into I will retract my words ...
I've got to agree...I don't see this happening. The exception I can see is if you are parked somewhere for an extended period of time with it on. Otherwise, what is he going to do? Drive around behind you the entire time? A lot of easier targets out there that make a whole heck of a lot more sense.

·
Registered
967 Posts

lol....I dunno man, now you got to watch out for that van trailing you down the freeway, he might be after your phone connections mp3's or slacker radio account. He just gotta never give you up, let you down, run around and desert you.[screwy]

While we're at it, why would someone want to link to their home wifi anyhow?I was under the impression this was originally a question for a phone or internet stick. It's my understanding there aren't any actual apps for the car as yet making a home connection useless. Besides, aside from us focus fans, who the hell knows the car has a built in router anyhow? lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
there are apps for sync v1, pandora and such. supposedly they are coming for v2. just go to sync services and you'll see an option to load up apps. though i think ford has its hands full trying to get MFT not to bomb out on us repeatedly. i wouldn't mind pandora, or better yet, spotify.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So anyway, regardless of comments indicating that I should personally hack my car to prove this kind of thing can happen, or laughing it off as never going to happen, other cars are being owned using things as simple as SMS these days. My car's WIFI came in client mode, which I disabled.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So anyway, regardless of comments indicating that I should personally hack my car to prove this kind of thing can happen, or laughing it off as never going to happen, other cars are being owned using things as simple as SMS these days. My car's WIFI came in client mode, which I disabled.
if you are going to make a claim like you did, and say that people that have been in the business probably longer than you have been alive "don't know what they are talking about". it is on you to prove your point. no one said anything about "hacking your car" YOU made the claim that you could go war driving with
your packet sniffer to "see what is going on". those are YOUR words not ours. it's time to back up your words with proof or be invited to move on by those with enough experience to make claims.

I would also like you to provide some links to this "ownage" you are talking about. everything I have read on the subject say that while it is possible it is not easy. which also ties into crooks go after the easy target, not one they have to spend hours or weeks on.

all I am saying is that you make claims .. be prepared to back them up with something other than "it's true because I said so"

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you are going to make a claim like you did, and say that people that have been in the business probably longer than you have been alive "don't know what they are talking about". it is on you to prove your point. no one said anything about "hacking your car" YOU made the claim that you could go war driving with
your packet sniffer to "see what is going on". those are YOUR words not ours. it's time to back up your words with proof or be invited to move on by those with enough experience to make claims.

I would also like you to provide some links to this "ownage" you are talking about. everything I have read on the subject say that while it is possible it is not easy. which also ties into crooks go after the easy target, not one they have to spend hours or weeks on.

all I am saying is that you make claims .. be prepared to back them up with something other than "it's true because I said so"
https://www.scmagazineus.com/black-hat-car-unlocked-started-via-war-texting/article/209037/

Certainly this method isn't going to work on a Focus.

·
Registered
472 Posts
ok that is how it works in a lab. I have already stated that it is possible. but the discussion is not on a lab enviornment. where are the stastics showing this in your "ownage". that word means that it is at a minimum a relativly common thing being done.

Edited to add: you might want to go read this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/12/ford_in_car_secure_wifi/

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok that is how it works in a lab. I have already stated that it is possible. but the discussion is not on a lab enviornment. where are the stastics showing this in your "ownage". that word means that it is at a minimum a relativly common thing being done.

Edited to add: you might want to go read this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/12/ford_in_car_secure_wifi/
The discussion is apparently whatever you want it to be. If unlocking the doors and starting the engine of a new car isn't "owning" the car, I don't know what is. Setting up the environment to achieve that was timed at 2 hours, according to the Black Hat article. Not "drive-by" territory, of course, but it happened, and as more cars have on-board computers and means to connect them to networks, it is quite reasonable to say that one should be concerned about the security settings of the car. Press releases from Ford about anti-malware are nice to read, but at the end of the day they are words on a page when someone discovers a new way of bypassing that security.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over who knows what, and if you're still feeling upset that I accused you of not knowing what you're talking about, then I'm sorry. Better?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Set up WIFI in My Car

I set up my 3G wifi Dongle in the Focus. It set up easily from the menu and I password protected the router. Works great with my Ipod Touch.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
What i see is a problem IF you work and have sensitive stuff, and have any connectivity via the car. It IS NOT that the car is the target, YOU are the target if you work for a paranoid company which comes down on you for some slip up.
Really.
The stuff i had to endure for some trivia.. Most Human Resource depts [angel] are ripe for going crazy when some shit hits the fan [hatchet] and YOU are the one they find out was vulnerable.
Even if it was NOT YOU!! they are gonna hang you butt. [smackbum]
This has been my experience.
Glad i am the Hell out of there. [neener]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Work is not an issue for me. I don't have any mobile devices that I use for work. I use a desk top at work and have a personal laptop with a personal internet connection. If it isn't work related I use the lap top. If it is work connected then I use the office computer.

The car connection is just for fun, not work.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
To answer the OP, I don't see the benefits of hiding your SSID wi-fi network of your car. Not even at home if you ask me. If someone wants to brake into your wi-fi, hidden or broadcast SSID makes no difference. What makes the difference is the WPA2 security of your network and the MAC address filtering. And yes, everything may be hacked, it depends only on how much time does it take.

·
Registered
409 Posts
To answer the OP, I don't see the benefits of hiding your SSID wi-fi network of your car. Not even at home if you ask me. If someone wants to brake into your wi-fi, hidden or broadcast SSID makes no difference. What makes the difference is the WPA2 security of your network and the MAC address filtering.
This. The SSID is sent unencrypted in every packet whether you disable SSID broadcast or not, it has to be. The only thing hiding your SSID will do is possibly discourage those who don't know what they are doing in the first place. Disabling it won't hurt, but it certainly isn't a way to make yourself secure. (If you're really that concerned about security you wouldn't be using wireless at all anyways.)

Sidenote: MAC filtering isn't overly secure in and of itself, but it does help with adding time (not much at all, really) to getting into your network. It's not about whether or not someone can get into your network, it's about whether or not it is worth the effort required to do so.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts