Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car in because of some noise while .driving at 50 to 60 mph, found out the carrier bearing is out.2900 miles on the car. Parts are on back order, at least they found the problem.[:(]

·
Registered
712 Posts
If it is one of the front wheel bearings, I (and about 5 others that I know of on this site ) have had the same fix done. This was after detecting noise that I originally though was tire tread noise. I think a bearing supplier somewhere is in deep doo-doo with Ford. I was lucky enough to get a quick easy fix at my dealer.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If it is one of the front wheel bearings, I (and about 5 others that I know of on this site ) have had the same fix done. This was after detecting noise that I originally though was tire tread noise. I think a bearing supplier somewhere is in deep doo-doo with Ford. I was lucky enough to get a quick easy fix at my dealer.
Thnx for that. So far ive not experienced these problems thankfully

·
Registered
712 Posts
That made me laugh. ...Speaking of technical details, this reminds me of why I don't like dealing with dealer service departments. When I take my older cars to my awesome local mechanic (small shop), he explains everything he will do and why with all the technical details. When I get work done at the dealer, I get "it was a bearing." I have stopped asking for more details because the desk person always looks all bewildered and put out by my questions.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A carrier bearing is found on the sides of the differential - roller taper bearing type.

Here you can see (blurrily) inside a split MTX-75 transmission. The carrier is the furthest looking leftward gear - the axles spline into the spider gears and transfer power the the cv shafts/wheels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You didn't have to rip your Focus apart to show us what it looks like, lol. But thanks.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ha- I was installing a Torsen T-2 in my Contour SVT. That was a few years ago - seriously considering installing one in the Focus as well...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
took my focus in yesterday to have the bearing replaced, dealer called me and said they had a ford engineer down that wanted to take a ride in the car to hear the noise. when finished he told them that he wanted to have the transmission taken apart piece by piece to study and make sure of what was going on, since this transmission is so new. so the put my car back together and called me to come get it until they have a loaner car available, since this is mark martin ford, i told them id gladly take one of their roush mustangs :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
took my focus in yesterday to have the bearing replaced, dealer called me and said they had a ford engineer down that wanted to take a ride in the car to hear the noise. when finished he told them that he wanted to have the transmission taken apart piece by piece to study and make sure of what was going on, since this transmission is so new. so the put my car back together and called me to come get it until they have a loaner car available, since this is mark martin ford, i told them id gladly take one of their roush mustangs :)
Have they figured out if there was anything wrong with the transmission? I'm curious because I'm also having this problem and my car has been in the shop since Tuesday (8/30) waiting for parts from Ford because my dealership says it shouldn't be driven. They said the carrier bearing itself was back ordered so they ordered an entire axle assembly since they come with the carrier bearing on them, but so far it hasn't shipped.

Right now I have a loaner from them through Enterprise but still no answer on how long it is going to take to get the part and get it fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took my car in because of some noise while .driving at 50 to 60 mph, found out the carrier bearing is out.2900 miles on the car. Parts are on back order, at least they found the problem.[:(]
Took my daughter's 2012 Focus out for a spin today and heard EXACTLY the same noise. Starts at 50-55. Didn't seem like tire noise because I couldn't get it to change the sound by wiggling the steering wheel. Tried putting the car in neutral to eliminate the engine.

Only 2300 miles on the car -- This really sucks.

Did they have to pull your transmission out and/or apart to replace the carrier bearing? How long a repair was it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you got it back and is the problem fixed? They said they installed a wheel bearing in mine but the problem persists. Please Keep us informed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My sound started about 3,000 miles too. It is like the chant ummm used to meditate. It oscillates high to low. It is hypnotic and almost lulled me to sleep on a long trip.

At first, I thought it was a tire, swapped the tire to the back and no change. Inflated all tires right on the recommended inflation still no change. Revved the engine, put it in and out into neutral, and down shifted one gear, all with no change the noise is still there.

To answer your question, I suspect it is it is to low pitched to record but The shop QC manager and service advisor have both had not trouble hearing it.

I can’t say for sure but I think I can feel a corresponding viberation in the steering wheel of the car as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Took my daughter's 2012 Focus out for a spin today and heard EXACTLY the same noise. Starts at 50-55. Didn't seem like tire noise because I couldn't get it to change the sound by wiggling the steering wheel. Tried putting the car in neutral to eliminate the engine.

Only 2300 miles on the car -- This really sucks.

Did they have to pull your transmission out and/or apart to replace the carrier bearing? How long a repair was it?

Thanks.
Did it work, Ford replaced a wheel bearing in mine. The noise is still there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
After a nightmare 2012 Focus POS . The beginning of my 2013 nightmare is beginning. Carrier bearing has failed. Or at least that's my diagnosis after attempting an oil change. I brought it in to Fraser Ford in Whitby a few weeks ago for them to tell me it's normal for the seals to leak. Well now it is failing miserably. Seals are falling out and bearings are visible and falling out. Eastcourt Ford in Toronto doesn't give a crap and the other dealer Fraser Ford sevice manager asked me "what do you want me to do?" . I swear the service departments are getting worse and are reluctant to repair.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
After a nightmare 2012 Focus POS . The beginning of my 2013 nightmare is beginning. Carrier bearing has failed. Or at least that's my diagnosis after attempting an oil change. I brought it in to Fraser Ford in Whitby a few weeks ago for them to tell me it's normal for the seals to leak. Well now it is failing miserably. Seals are falling out and bearings are visible and falling out. Eastcourt Ford in Toronto doesn't give a crap and the other dealer Fraser Ford sevice manager asked me "what do you want me to do?" . I swear the service departments are getting worse and are reluctant to repair.
If the service was bad on your previous Focus, it makes sense that it would be bad on your current one.

You've had more than your fair share of frustration.
I do hope you get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts