Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you hatchback owners have had the pivot part of your cargo cover get "worn". Maybe "worn" isn't the word but is seems to be inevitable that this thing would wear out quickly judging from the material the cover is made of. Is it layers of paper? Anyone out there know?

My 2014 SE Hatchback was purchased knowing that this would need to be dealt with, apart from the pivot points the rest of the cover is in great shape. My fix was to 3D print a outline of the pivot point from the cover and attach it so that there would be a more robust area that will not "wear out" soon.

I think it turned out Ok, the biggest mistake on my part was forgetting to change the filament from white to black and in hindsight the hardware that attaches the pieces to the cover would be changed to the same style as the Holding Strings for the cover, one of the pictures shows the fasteners that were used, more refinements could be made for sure but for a first crack it wasn't that bad.

I would like to know if any of you have the same kind of issue with your cargo cover being worn. I will gladly share the STL file so you can print your own or contract it out via Shapeways or the like. I would be willing to print some for you for a few bucks if someone wants them.

The pictures tell the story, let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I removed my cargo cover awhile back. I got tired of it getting in the way and my Focus also gets used as a pickup truck from time to time so it becomes useless.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with my cover, although it does pop off of its plastic hinges from time to time, if I’m packing too much stuff in the back, groceries etc., but it’s never been a big deal to just pop the hinges back into place or to just take small straps off & just take it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nice job. I got frustrated with mine some time ago and was surprised at the construction at the pivot point being so poorly made. I took mine off and it is just sitting in my garage as I haven't decided whether I want to keep it or throw it away. I might have been inclined to continue to use it if it was a higher quality part. Your fix looks like it solves the original problem nicely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, my first inclination was to just replace the cover but a quick search revealed prices of just over $100. Totally not worth that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks, my first inclination was to just replace the cover but a quick search revealed prices of just over $100. Totally not worth that.
Yeah, especially because you would have just ended up with a new cover that is still prone to failure in the same manner unless they beefed it up in that area which is unlikely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One of my biggest pet peeves is a missing cargo cover in a hatchback. We have 2 cars and one cover. I need to find another. Yes, I use my car as a pickup often as well, but even more often I have stuff in the trunk I want to stay hidden.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have not had a problem either. Just get some black paint for plastic and could just paint it. If you can share the file that would be great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick Update

I've tried several times to upload the STL file here but this forum does not allow that type. You can get the file from here

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3325201

That is the address to my Thingiverse account for this part, it's a free download from there.

A quick update: I heard mention on a video of the newer Focuses having a clip at this pivot point. I am still waiting for my coworker to check the cover for his 2017 ST, he has forgotten twice now. If any of you reading this have a clip at the pivot point could you please post a picture. I would like to replicate an OEM instead of re-invent something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here are pictures from my 2018 (it was hard to get clear pictures because of the black). Are you saying that yours didn't have a piece of plastic there? I previously had a 2002 ZX5 HB, but I don't remember what it had, though recollection says it was similar and though I didn't remove it that often, I never had any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you Thunder422

Mine has no plastic at all just a cut out from the material. If you are always pristine and careful with it then it might hold up over time but from everyday practical use it's going to get beat up and loose shape.

I am happy to see that Ford addressed this issue, pretty sad that it was missed or let go in the first place.

Now I have work to do...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi dowd13, thanks for sharing the file and I just downloaded it. I think my cover black plastic piece looks just like what Thunder422 uploaded above and will have to take some pictures of mine to upload so you can see what it looks like on my 2012 Focus SEL. Will do that when I get home tonight.

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
I haven’t had any issues with my cover, although it does pop off of its plastic hinges from time to time, if I’m packing too much stuff in the back, groceries etc., but it’s never been a big deal to just pop the hinges back into place or to just take small straps off & just take it out.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I've been annoyed where i had the hatch packed with something slightly too tall and popped the hinges of the cover. Annoyed the crap out of me as i was driving down country roads and it was a nice day, had the windows down and it kept catching wind and flapping. Saw in my rearview mirror the hatch cover flopping up and down.

Not enough where i wanted to stop and rearrange my trunk but enough to annoy me [:)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am thinking that sometime after 2014 Ford made the change to the more robust clip. Nobody with a 2015 - 2016 Focus has commented yet so it's hard to determine when the change was made. I had a friend with a 2017 RS verify he had the more robust clip in his.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know how many of you hatchback owners have had the pivot part of your cargo cover get "worn". Maybe "worn" isn't the word but is seems to be inevitable that this thing would wear out quickly judging from the material the cover is made of. Is it layers of paper? Anyone out there know?

My 2014 SE Hatchback was purchased knowing that this would need to be dealt with, apart from the pivot points the rest of the cover is in great shape. My fix was to 3D print a outline of the pivot point from the cover and attach it so that there would be a more robust area that will not "wear out" soon.

I think it turned out Ok, the biggest mistake on my part was forgetting to change the filament from white to black and in hindsight the hardware that attaches the pieces to the cover would be changed to the same style as the Holding Strings for the cover, one of the pictures shows the fasteners that were used, more refinements could be made for sure but for a first crack it wasn't that bad.

I would like to know if any of you have the same kind of issue with your cargo cover being worn. I will gladly share the STL file so you can print your own or contract it out via Shapeways or the like. I would be willing to print some for you for a few bucks if someone wants them.

The pictures tell the story, let me know what you think.
I have actually lost (lord knows how) the pin that this piece rides on- I will have to fabricate a new one somehow- the dealer has been no help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts