Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
What's an r1?If you're referring to a Yamaha R1,they are fuel injected.Why would you want carburetors anyway??

·
Registered
705 Posts
First off (off topic): dazada, I now realize many of your posts are very sarcastic, keep it up.

Anyway, there would probably be a lot of time put in to turn the focus into a carburated car due to all the wiring needed for the fuel injected system. There would be so many sensors going off I dont want to think about it. It would be a time consuming and probably expensive job to do. If you want to, do it. It would be very unique and you would probably be applauded for taking on a big job like this.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
jeeptofocus said:
First off (off topic): dazada, I now realize many of your posts are very sarcastic, keep it up.
LMAO!!! I'm really not a sarcastic guy...at least, in most cases. Why you would want to put a carbuerator on a two liter Focus is beyond me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
this dyno chart is for an S2000, but it's the quickest i could find:

http://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody.imgs/s2000_dyno.jpg

sometimes a stock fuel system isn't enough. for example, the 2 liter 16v motor we are putting in to a vw fox (which is a pretty big undertaking) is going to be mounted longitudinally. pretty much every factory application of this motor ever places the motor horizontally, like a normal fwd car would have it. but the fox is a weird car in pretty much every sense- it is fwd but has a longitudinally mounted engine like a rwd car. so, turning an engine sideways that doesn't normally get turned sideways poses a host of challenges. the least of which being that the fuel and ignition systems in the fox don't work with the engine we are putting in it. so, we could either hunt down some wiring harnesses, ecu's and sensors needed, and then get the fuel pump and plumbing up to speed, and then make room for all the factory stuff that goes along with it, and THEN change the hood to accomodate the considerably taller factory intake manifold, or we could just get some weber side-draft carbs and move along.

also, and this is kind of a blunt-force kind of situation where carbs are awesome, i built a 5.0 mustang out of a 2.3 mustang. the 2.3 had a single throttle body injector, and its own emissions crap and ignition. so, i got rid of the 2.3 stuff, stuck a big old holley on it and wired in an old duraspark box. easy as can be.

standalone engine management systems, itb's and side-draft carbs are great for folks who kind of go a little above and beyond undercar neon. i would imagine that anyone who is squeezing the absolute most out of any motor, especially small-displacement stuff where every little bit helps, uses some combination of carbs or itb's. especially where extremely narrow powerbands, sustained high rpms, heavily ported heads, or monster cams are involved.

also, they are awesome.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It's probably just me, but putting a carb on a fuel injected engine is just a tad extreme.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yes, it's extreme. perhaps even x-treme, which from what deodorant and potato chip companies tell me, is extremely extreme. also, there is hollering.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
lucas g said:
yes, it's extreme. perhaps even x-treme, which from what deodorant and potato chip companies tell me, is extremely extreme. also, there is hollering.
LMFAO!!! [rofl] Kind of like cheesy and DANGEROUSLY cheesy?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I hate to be a smart-a$$, but the early R1 WAS carbed.

Oh, like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
That being said, it would be VERY top end happy, AND its not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. You would be lucky if it ran at first install, but sure, its doable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
(I have 18" wheels and love them.) Putting carbs on a Focus application is bassackwards.Fuel injection is the BEST thing that has ever happened to cars.No jets to change,no chokes that don't work,no stale gas gucking up everything,no leaking,NONE of the carburetor crap with fuel injectors.Injection is easy to understand,easy to work on and modify,and ALL the fast cars at the drags or road courses in modern cars (not the vintage stuff) runs fuel injection.If you already have fuel injection,only a FOOL would rip it off and slap a carb on there.If you are starting with nothing a carb is the simplest way to go.NOT the best,but the easiest.Guess it all depends what you are willing to do to get the best performance from your machine.

·
Registered
789 Posts
but with carbs you can easily adjust the a/f mix with the turn of a screw to make a needle valve open more or less, which is much better and easier to do than spend 400 bucks on a flasher and tune or change out the injectors for bigger ones an still need a tune for those too. IMO i think he should go for it

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^However, if you have the correct equipment, changing the A/F ratio can be nice and simple too. I am on the fuel injected bandwagon--carbs are not as efficient as injection is (gas mileage is a good thing, right?). However, ther is something very appealing about a whole bunch of Stromberg's that are nice and synchronized on a Jaguar XKE V12.......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts