Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cf hood is nasty. its faded from the sun, and has a few scratches. is there a way to touch it up, or refinish it ? I know i could always paint it, but i like the carbon fiber look. maybe ill just sell it to someone who wants a painted one, and buy another.

·
Registered
549 Posts
you can have it re-clearcoated at a paint shop......have you tried high speed buffing the hood?

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
i believe your hood is probably most likely faded from the heat of the engine, not the sun....

i dont believe the carbon fiber hoods come with the same insulation most stock hoods have. but i could be wrong, it has happened once our twice.

but once you figure out how to fix the problem, then you should think about how to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im pretty sure it faded from the sun, because the entire hood is faded. if it was engine heat, it would be faded over the engine, and spread out from there.

I havnt tried buffing it yet, but ive got that planned this weekend.

I have heard that having it recleard would help. Has anyone else ever done this ?
the car came with the hood when i bought it, so im not sure how well it was taken care before i got it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
chances are if you are good with a hi speed buffer you can make it bling like new.as long as the clear isnt flaking off or peeling. just make sure you know what your doing cause its easy to overbuff and burn the clear....good luck[:D]

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
A buff might help, I don't know enough about it. But it won't do anything for the fade.

I'd suggest if you want to keep it, get it recleared/gel-coated, but make sure the coat has UV protectants in it. It doesn't sound like this one did when you bought the car, I'm fairly sure their purpose is to prevent the fading effect.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I work with, and paint carbon fiber all day. I work for a co. that makes c/f Masts and booms, and spin poles for sail boats. I'm the finisher, and painter. If a good buff and polish don't work. All you need to do is sand it down and clear coat it w/ about 3 to 4 coats of urethane clear. (Or take it somewhere to have them do it.)

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Id do a wetsand and buff...that outta do the trick...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts