Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What should I do with the outside of my SVT?

• Shelby Cobra Mustang style srtipes (white) - "Lemans" = top front to back + "GT" = across the bottom

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Carbon Fiber Hood, Upper Rear Wing (by F2Focus) + paint the roof black

Votes: 44 83.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on the fence about which direction to go with the car's exterior. I think the opinion pole spells things out. The striping is $450. I expect the CF hood, wing and black roof will cost triple that amount.

BTW my SVT is red, already has a mid-wing and chrome SVT wheels...check out my gallery. Those are fixed components of the exterior.

Edit: NO lettering in the stripes unless I work the build number into it. The "Lemans' and "GT" are just stripe names -- what I've heard those types of striping called before.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Go with the CF hood..... don;t do stripes, and take off the midwing. it will make the car flow so much better.

just my .02

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, the midwings look really bad. Personally, I don't like the look of CF; it looks too ricey, but I'm not really sure how stripes would look either, ESPECIALLY with the lettering.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Isn't there like a shortage of carbon fiber now, too? I thought I had heard something about that...

·
Registered
607 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Isn't there like a shortage of carbon fiber now, too? I thought I had heard something about that...
there is and you can't get the F2 wing right now.. and as for hoods if you really look around and pay a bit more you can get that done..

Trust me your thoughts were mine in april for my sonic blue SVT.. In fact I had both on order only to be told its not gonna happen.. But, some folks have gotten cf parts no trouble (just make sure its quality weaves)

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^^^

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad its the truth, and not the voices in my head screwing with me again.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Go with the CF hood..... don;t do stripes, and take off the midwing. it will make the car flow so much better.

just my .02
I totally Agree!!!!!![:)~] [cheers]

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i guess no one likes the stripes [:D]
good choice everyone[thumb]

i thought cf hoods cost around $400 for a quality one?

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
The cf hood, painted roof, and F2 wing would look great. I agree with CrazyMatt, the midwing would mess with the flow, would look better if it came off. Not a huge fan of multiple spoilers. Might look good with just the midwing though.

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
omg your car is sooo nice!

minus that midwing and those taillights...
lose those, and i agree with the others about the hood. sweet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That particular mid-wing is kind of weird, and the lights aren't to my taste either. I'd agree with the CF hood for this car, I think.

*edit* - can you or someone else here chop all three options onto some of the pics?

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
OrangeSVTguy said:
i guess no one likes the stripes [:D]
good choice everyone[thumb]

i thought cf hoods cost around $400 for a quality one?
I paid 500 for mine. THat Included shipping. It was the cheapest I found it.
Get a VIS CF hood. Trust me. they fit nicely. Its worth the extra money for brandname

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Ok heres my $.02. Your car looks awesome as it is. If it were me, I would get a euro grill, leave the midwing on, tint the tail lights and and then get some windon tint, clear corners and thats it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the input so far. As far as cf hoods...I've read about as many negative comments about the VIS as positive...but not sure if there are any better manufacturers. I've learned over the years that you get what you pay for...so I wouldn't mind paying a premium price for a premium product. I guess something that fits right, latches and accomodates the washer nozzles.

Still trying to decide which direction to go (cf vs. stripes). I expect I'll wait a bit before doing anything. I really like the cf hood on the red and IMO the Steeda Focus (red w/ black) is a nice look

The midwing and tail lights stay. I appreciate your opinions but I didn't ask about that. I know the vast majority of FF despises the midwing but I like it and I don't really care what you think of it...that's why I didn't ask for opinions on that...because I knew what reponse I'd get. So flame away on the midwing if you want but it's not coming off. I removed about every bit of the interior trunk to bolt it so even if I wanted to take it off I couldn't afford the repair bill.

I do agree that the euro grill and clear side markers would be a nice addition...if I did the stripes I could probably afford those things. Can anybody reccommend a source for those?

Honestly I'm leaning toward the stripes...I'm fortunate that I have a garage and the car is not my daily driver so differential paint fading and longevity of the stripes shouldn't be too problematic.

Edit: I'm sure you've seen this but this is the inspiration for my striping idea -- http://www.autobytel.com/content/sh...m/article_page_order_int/9/article_id_int/576

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
just my .02 ......

don't do either of the mods.......car looks clean without them

and I would also take the midwing OFF, sowwy.....

seems like you have money to burn......burn it on an Xcal2 and a short shifter.........

totally what you didn't want to hear, but whatever.....

EDIT: the chrome rims look PIMP...never seen them on a red SVT...looking GOOD!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have money to burn. I have about $25/week allowance from my wife that I can spend on the car so I need to make my dollars count.

I thought about the tuning route. I decided to wait as it voids the warranty. If I do it I will probably go with Tom and the Predator...if he's still doing it in 3 years. I've read too many negative things about Wayne's customer service to go the xcal2...at least with him.

Won't do the short shifter either. I had a custom center armrest made that is at the exact right height for me and the normal shifter. I could lower the armrest to match the short shifter but then it might be too low. I'd rather stick with what I got.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hear you on the no money to burn thing. I assume you want to go with vinyl, not paint. check out this site.www.huntgraphic.com/racing_stripes.htm They are pretty reasonable. You'll find that there aren't many who are receptive to the stripes on this site. I think mine look pretty good with stripes (check the gallery, they're only crappy camera phone pics b/c my digital blew a ccd chip). I haven't done the bumpers yet cause it's a real beyoch to keep a straight line over the contours. Maybe if I can figure out a way to do it without my stripes looking like a drunken monkey applied them I will[:D]

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I, for one, think the midwing looks good on your car (even though I'm not a midwing kinda guy). I would take CF over stripes any day.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Another Roanoke guy?! w00t! Hit me up! It'd be great if we can have a bunch of fofo's lined up at Fast Freddy's on Saturday's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts