Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was thinking about this for a while. But now Im going through with it. I am designing an intake and it will be fully carbon fiber. I just want to build some intrest so I know the money I spend in developement will be worth it. It will be for the duratec 2.0/2.3 cars.

Give me some input, but by tuesday I will have my measurments and be pricing out the mold and things with a company.

Lets build some intrest and see who wants this.

as for credibility. I am a full time mechanical engineer, I was part owner of a Subaru performance shop for almost 3 years. I have been building FSAE cars for 5 years at the University of PIttsburgh where I got my education. I have done flow testing and all that good and fun stuff. Just so you guys dont think I am some off the street joe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it will be a little pricey, but again the more ordered at a time the cheaper things get. I will eventually do the zetec, I had one designed for my zx2, so I only have to change a few things to have it fit the focus, mounting points and things. But since I have the duratec Im going to hit that first but like I said, next week some time my design will be done.

i just want to know that people are interested

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also i know the zx2 zetec and focus zetec are different, but the placement of the throtle bodies is the same and since i have the general design i just need a few mesaurments so i can match it up perfect

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Im also going to eventually do more carbon under the hood as well. It will jack the price, overall its also a strong and light material.

I mean either way Im doing one for myself, the question is if anyone else is going to want them.

strength to weight on carbon is incredible

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
^^^I agree, I didn't want to sound like I was pissing in your cheerios, but for an intake, it won't make any difference, but some people are adamant about everything being c-f........so I think if make a couple bucks off them, I encourage you too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i agreee with making some money, but I actually wouldnt try to make much off anyone only because i feel like this would be something cool for the people that are on the site and want to spend a little on it

thank you for your input this is what im looking for. I just thought it would be a neat project to start out with on my car beore we tackle the hood and hatch.

but again I am glad you are giving me input, im looking for it

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
How much do you think you will charge for it, and will it have all the attachments needed........basically, will the customer have to drill holes or anything.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no it will be set up so all you have to do is put it in, i will have all the brackets on it already. It will cost whatever it costs me to make it, plus the filter cost or you can get your own, plus shipping and maybe a 10 buck up charge for my time. But other then that no extra costs

im just not sure yet on total cost until i get a mold and do everything on the first run

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
2k twill for most c/f runs for $35 a yard x 50" across

Unless you are making them like 3-4 layers thick... I wouldn't expect it to be extremely costly... But then you gotta take in account for supplies, gel-coat/resin, molds, labor...

I like the idea of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) Or something like a ram-air intake, with a c/f shroud.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i get the carbon cheap from our race teams account, its the cost of building the fiberglass molds... and i will do at least 2 layers and any more layers will depend on the outdies diameter i need

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i think the spur of interest will be how well it performs not the pricing, i spent $450+ on my pipercross intake for the zetec and many others have too so pricing is not THAT great an effect but how well it'll perform, if its a crappy performer than no matter how much you charge no1 will buy.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
right thats why once i have the 3d model all set ill do flow analysis on it to make sure it flows correctly, if not i can modify things before i make the actual mold for it.

but thank you for actually picking that up

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
sounds like a good idea. But depending on price and how much racing people do... I mean it would save some wieght on the car...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah

hey where you at in buffalo, ill be up there tonight visiting my girlfriend in amherst. It be cool if we could meet up and go get some drinks downtown

1 - 20 of 40 Posts