Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite it's main purpose.. (to free up weight) I'm not really a big fan of the many cars that have an aftermarket hood a different color then the rest of the body.

Has anyone seen a carbon fiber hood on a black car, Is there much of a contrast between the colors? I'm thinking about buying one but I don't want that color contrast that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any input?

Lates,
Paulie

·
Registered
511 Posts
Paint it. It's that simple.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think the carbon-on-black look is tight, Im also a big fan of it being two different colors, if you're buying it and then painting it, nobody will know the difference, thats pointless, youd have to be rich to do that, because then you're stricly buying it to loose like 20lbs for $450 ouch!

·
Registered
132 Posts
And adding a few pounds of paint to it. So why spend the money to get it...

·
Registered
128 Posts
imajsdaddy said:
And adding a few pounds of paint to it. So why spend the money to get it...
Exactly, if you get carbon fiber please don't paint it. If anything get colored stiching for the fiber weave.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hey disc golfer, are those svt shoulder pads on your seat belts. They look like the blue ones that i have from ebay.

·
Registered
842 Posts
oh ok.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I still can't get used to those things. From a distance, they just look like a primered, unpainted hood to me. I have to get really close before I realize that it's actually a CF hood. So, if I were to put one on my car, I'd probably paint it to match. But I'd never put one on my car because it's not enough of a weight-savings in the first place. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm gonna put a CF hood on my silver car...i like the look of it unpainted...however i will be putting a couple coats of clearcoat on there for protection

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Here's mine when I had a CF hood.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I want one but haven't found something I like yet. I want something with vents because every time I open the hood it seems really really hot in there... at least compared to every other car I have owned...

I think the weight savings would be worth it though. The distance from the center of the car to the center of the hood is a good couple of feet, so the 20 lbs acts like 80 lbs on the front suspension.

Hell, a great simple mod would be to move the battery to the back of the car. What does a battery weigh? I think all BMWs do this little race trick, but they are under the rear seats, right?

Oh yeah, CF looks good on anything! Go for it and send pics.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yeah, but you have to use hood pins b/c of the nature of CF. At highway speeds if the hood latch isn't done properly it will tear away from it and rip in half. I saw the aftermath of that on my buddy's old hood. People put the hood pins in the corners as a secondary safety measure to help keep the hood from flying off

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you guys seen the evo c/f hood on wings west site? what do you think about it. thinking of buying it. for my svt. I actually like the c/f look with other colors. my car is red and im going to put the c/f hood, black polished rims with red lip, and black graphics on the car so its all red and black.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
less weight is less weight. you take 20lbs from here, 15lbs by going with lightweight rims, dropping another 40-50lbs with the interior... it all adds up in the long run.

I love CF hoods on black cars. If you can find one that you like, do it up. But just like focusedintentions said, you want to get hood pins if you get a CF hood

1 - 20 of 21 Posts