Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How do I want to finish my Carbon Fiber hood?

• No paint, just clear coat?

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Paint entire hood, top & underside?

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Paint just the top?

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Paint top and the edge on the underside?

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Paint top leaving a large block of CF showing?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, use a hood heat shield?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, don't use a hood heat shield?

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Yes for standard hood pins?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes for flush hood pins?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No hood pins?

Votes: 6 42.9%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with the damage to my stock hood from a suicidal Bambi I've decided to take the plunge and go to a CF hood. I have ordered a Siebon OEM style hood. With shipping it need up only being $75 more than a stock metal hood. Now my question is paint. I think I already know what I want to do but I thought I'd set this poll up for opinions. Keep in mind the color and that it is a DD year round but that it does get less use in the non-snowey months when I'm on the bike. I've set the poll up to run for 60 days even thought the car is scheduled to go into the shop on the 17th of this month. Also I'd like to see your Focus and CF hood so post your photos please.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Keep it looking as factory as possible. Dont paint the bottom (unnecessary and extra weight). Keep the heat shield as that also doubles as a fire-extinguisher should something go catastrophically wrong under your hood.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

My vote goes for paint to match, top only. No heatshield, C/F dissipates heat very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm all about raw carbon, Seibon has a UV resistant gel coat.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I would bother with the heat shield but that's just me.

On the hood pins, however, it depends. For looks I'd for sure say no to them; the issue is that some cf hoods have been known to split in two at highway speed causing a ruined hood and maybe a broken windshield if not worse. This is an uncommon issue but something to think about nonetheless. That said, I don't have hood pins on my CF hood.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hood came in!

The car goes to the shop on Monday! [8D]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Like that look....

Don't care if it's currently cool or not.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like that look....

Don't care if it's currently cool or not.
You know if I had a darker color like the blue or black I might be tempted to just have it clear coated but with the orange I don't think it would work. Just too much contrast. I think I'm going to have the shop just set it on the car before they paint it and grab a photo of it just to see what it would look like.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I see the fashion police are already there. haha

That hood looks so good like it is, I really would paint it. I do see where your coming from wanting to paint it, though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Could always run it like it is & see if it grows on ya.

Once painted it'd be hard to go back.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Black goes with everything.

Get some hood pins. They're not the most useful but look nice, especially if they're real and not some stick-ons.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could always run it like it is & see if it grows on ya.

Once painted it'd be hard to go back.
Black goes with everything.

Get some hood pins. They're not the most useful but look nice, especially if they're real and not some stick-ons.
I know this is a different orange but I really don't think this looks all that good. To me it looks unfinished.

Moving onto hood pins. These are the pins I like. They could also be mounted rotated 90 degrees or at an angle.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
It depends on the car too. Some cars have an awkward hood and can't pull off two colors but others can. You could wrap your roof too to make it more complete.

Those hood pins are nice too. Get those in orange. Lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
All in what makes YOU happy.

Thought you might have fond memories of "racing" black hoods for less glare. (yeah, I know the C/F isn't functional that way)

Sure thought of doing it to the Peterbilt when the Sun got to me...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here's what I've settled on. Going with paint only on the top. The hood looks like it has the stock mounting holes for the stock under hood heat shield or blanket. The shop is going to check that out when they get the old hood off and if they are for that purpose I will order a stock blanket at a later date. I've decided against the hood pins.

Thanks for partaking in the poll and your comments. [thankyou] Photos will obviously be forthcoming.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All in what makes YOU happy.

Thought you might have fond memories of "racing" black hoods for less glare. (yeah, I know the C/F isn't functional that way)

Sure thought of doing it to the Peterbilt when the Sun got to me...
Actually I do. I had a silver 78 Rabbit that the previous owner had painted the center of the hood flat black. It was actually what attracted me to it. I went onto to build that car with a German high compression engine, Getrag close ratio trans, Audi FI and a laundry list of more stuff. She sure did run good. [driving] Maybe it's a thing of "been there, done that". I guess I just like the monotone of the Comp Orange. [grinking]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts