Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much weight difference is there on CF hood for the focus (00-04) vs OEM hood?

(what they both weigh?)

Does it improve fuel economy much since it's supposed to be a lot lighter?

Any pics of a CF hood on sedans?

·
Registered
900 Posts
i don't know the exact weight of mine but when i picked them both up the felt about the same (around 15 lb)

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
CF are around 10 lbs. you won't gain noticeable fuel economy

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what exactly then is the purpose of a CF hood?

·
Registered
900 Posts
looks...that's just about it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Looks AND weight reduction, from everything I've heard it cuts off 30 lbs, not alot but when you add in cf fenders/trunk it adds up to quite a bit. More DD friendly than a gutted interior, just not free

·
Registered
275 Posts
^^^ lol definately not free.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it can't be just for looks.....cuz u could just paint ur hood glossy black and save $600 dollars.

it doesn't seem like it improves fuel economy according to user "mlbbaseball".

so i'm really scratching my head as to what purpose a CF hood really is. You might as well make the hood out of light weight alloy in glossy black or whatever and it'd cost much less than carbon fiber.

I always thought it was because it weighs so much less than OEM hoods that it does improve fuel economy and less weight = more torque (more power).

hmm.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
100 lbs= 1-2% better mileage. So if you replaced the hood/fenders/trunk, You'd probably pick up 2 more mpg IF you got 100 to begin with (so .33 for the focus). So about $1,000 for .33+ mpg. But lighter weight also increases braking distance/handling/acceleration, so it sounds really good. Start off with tire/jack removal, lightweight wheels, backseat delete, and move up to body panels if you feel the urge.

other things to consider are:

Racing seats
Lightweight flywheel
A/C Delete (since it IS canada)

those are probably the most comfortable weight reductions. Some people gut the interior (costs nothing and is good for 2-300 lbs), I personally would never go that far.

·
Registered
278 Posts
it can't be just for looks.....cuz u could just paint ur hood glossy black and save $600 dollars.

it doesn't seem like it improves fuel economy according to user "mlbbaseball".

so i'm really scratching my head as to what purpose a CF hood really is. You might as well make the hood out of light weight alloy in glossy black or whatever and it'd cost much less than carbon fiber.

I always thought it was because it weighs so much less than OEM hoods that it does improve fuel economy and less weight = more torque (more power).

hmm.
What do you mean it can't be for looks? A gloss black hood doesn't have the carbon-weave pattern that makes a CF hood look so good. You also gotta look at the origins...CF parts were originally designed for racing where every pound does matter. It's just something thats worked its way into the aftermarket.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
as far as why most people choose a cf hood as a mod? because of the look. because they can say "well i've got a cf hood!" unless you're into some sort of racing, and sinking a lot of money into the car and trying to find every advantage you can, it won't make a difference. because again, as others have already said, it's only a matter of a few pounds. but if you're trying to get rid of every extra pound that you can...then hey, that's one more thing to do.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^^^ lol definately not free.
Mine was...wait, you guys pay for you car parts...lol okay, so I'm just messing with you guys. I think its funny that most of the people that have answered the question do not own a carbon fiber hood. A stock Focus hood it 45 lbs and the Carbon fiber is 8 (trust me, I had to figure out how to ship the dumb OEM hood). You won't see a huge differnce in MPG, but about 1 more mpg is noticable. And yes, it's mainly for the looks and a lot of people have intake systems that need to breath. The front of a car is somewhat cut off from air and vents do help to bring in air faster to help the engine to breath.

And yes you could paint you hood black, but it never looks the same as a CF hood, it just look rice...like you are too cheep to buy the real thing.

Black hood (used while I waited for my CF hood):

CF Hood, see the weave???:

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
People paint them all the time...I'm not understanding what's not easy about it.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Well what I'm really looking for is the dry carbon hoods, without the gelcoat on it. Seibon came out with some,but none for the Focus : (

The reason the dry carbon is nice it is lighter than the regular carbon fiber hoods, and some cases cheaper. So you get a better product for less cash.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Yeah, that would be awesome...but you have to keep up on that thing to keep it from turning yellow!!!

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I didnt see any improvement in MPGs. I have mine for heat reliese.

Ive always wondered why they gel coated CF hoods instead of ClearCoating them

I had to get mine Reclear because Gel Coat sucks

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
my CF hood was free so why not. gel coat does suck. i thinkin about painting it silver, or if not just a gloss black color not sure right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts