Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a similar part installed on my car and there were quite a few people asking where I got it. Well I found this on ebay: 160005448057

Seller is speedfreek97

Later
Hill

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sweet... I just heard about those and was wondering where to get one. Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
that piece is nearly 200 dollars

why not just remove it all together if your trying to save weight?

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
ive seen them before... not my thing because of the price... and i take mine out all the time to get my bike in the back... but im sure it looks awesome!

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your going for the whole carbon fiber look it would look sweet... I have also seen a carbon fiber headliner on Ebay before...So If you got the Carbon fiber hood, trunk, bodykit, fenders, hatch shelf, trim kit, and headliner i think you would almost have a complete carbon fiber car

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
dannybohhy said:
that piece is nearly 200 dollars

why not just remove it all together if your trying to save weight?
Damn thats expensive, I would rather save a couple hundred more and
get the carbon fiber hatch. IMO

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
how about buying a roll off cf fabric and covering it yourself, with some 3m spray?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
how about buying a roll off cf fabric and covering it yourself, with some 3m spray?
You mean epoxy resin, or resin compatible with composites.
The seller sells more carbon fiber products, no only for the focus.

I'd imagine, if they sell these items with A+ grade carbon fiber, and ensures perfect quality, they are using a clean room environment and vacuum bagging equipment.

The price is justified.

However, you can purchase 1 yard of carbon fiber for ~$60, and make two of these, with another $60 in materials (resin, paint brushes, tons of sand-paper, and skillful and buffing to a shine... approx 12-20 hours of labor, compared to vacuum bagging which is like 4 hours, if you include curing time.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I just checked their website. (they do use vacuum bagging and a clean room enviroment as well as molds)

compositesfab.com

Mold Construction --- Using a highly private process our molds achieve very high strength and are very riged. All our molds can be constructed in various way depending on the the manufacturing process of the part or if extra strength is needed. Unlike just normal fiberglass and polyester resins we use such items as epoxy based resins, epoxy putty, kevlar, and carbon fiber in our molds All the molds have carbon fiber in the last couple layers of construction, placed in various weave directions to maximize strength.

Manufacturing Processes --- Composites Fab uses several manufacturing processes. Most overseas manufactures use open molding or wet layup as their primary manufacturing method. Most carbon products are fiberglass parts that were overlayed with carbon and then clear coated. This manufacturing process makes heavier products and are prone to cracking due to brittleness. Composites Fab uses Vacuum Infusion and RTM as our primary manufacturing method. This is where everything is put in the molds dry and then resins are injected into them. No overlaying fiberglass parts and cheap brittle resins. We also have dry carbon capabilities

goto their website for pics and video of the process.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
intresting. i have two of those things. i might try to cover one myself.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
You mean epoxy resin, or resin compatible with composites.
The seller sells more carbon fiber products, no only for the focus.

I'd imagine, if they sell these items with A+ grade carbon fiber, and ensures perfect quality, they are using a clean room environment and vacuum bagging equipment.

The price is justified.

However, you can purchase 1 yard of carbon fiber for ~$60, and make two of these, with another $60 in materials (resin, paint brushes, tons of sand-paper, and skillful and buffing to a shine... approx 12-20 hours of labor, compared to vacuum bagging which is like 4 hours, if you include curing time.
No, I actually meant just the fake fabric looking carbon fiber....I have seen it on speaker boxes, should work just as well....not like its lighter or nothing, its just for looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been to composites fab and they have a pretty cool operation, they acurally make stuff for rolex cup cars and are mainly a racing fabrication facility. They use their technology on their normal parts as well. I just got a focus a couple weeks ago and was kinda cool to see what they had to offer! They told me that the cargo covers are just for looks pretty much, if oyu wanted the weight reduciton you will just take it out lol But they are pretty cool and the price is justified, if you see the tech that goes into them unlike other brands and china made parts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts