Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a lightly used FS Werks CAI for sale. He is looking for best offer. What is a good figure to offer? New they are currently $180, but i have seen used for like $75.

one worry is that i am in CA and i purchased my 2006 ZX4 ST from WA with a SRI and no stock airbox pieces. can i possible get this CAI passed visual? [ohcrap]

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Unless you have a carb sticker for the intake it will fail the visual. Sometimes you will get a guy that will "look the other way" but most are pretty strict and will fail you. Best bet is to either purchase a carb legal intake or just pull a OEM one out of the local wrecking yard and throw a K&N filter in it. Just fyi, most CAI are just short rams with a heat shield and those are not a true CAI, they are sucking hot air from inside the engine bay and can make performance worse in some conditions. You are better off with a stock box and a drop in K&N or get a true CAI like an AEM system for example. California carb laws are in my book no better than Nazi Germany, just another way for our BS tree hugging state to make money off us... If you plan on buying that FSWerks intake, remember if you dont have a carb sticker it will fail inspection... I doubt the person will have the original sticker for you... I highly recomend a AEM CAI which is carb legal and a REAL CAI or a stock airbox with a drop in K&N filter. Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gavin; I was hoping for a response from another CA resident. I will begin my search for a used AEM system for my D23. Or offer the guy $80 for his FS Werks (from the forums one of the best) and also find a stock setup in a recycling yard. With my budget it's lightly used parts whenever possible :( . Just another thing to swap out a couple of weeks before each smog test.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
At least we only have to smog our cars every 2 years... I have to put my car back to stock then I smog it and then on go all my illegal mods again lol.... Then in another 2 years I do it all over again, time consuming but worth the effort.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Thats what I was suggesting you do...keep it stock till after emissions testing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Calling any moderator... This got into the second gen forum by mistake. just a slip of my mouse i think. can it be moved to first gen? thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First gen. duratec performance section ('03-'07) now....

You're Welcome.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The ONLY CARB legal intake for your car is the Cosworth and maybe the K&N CAI (for certain years only though). I'm sorry to burst your bubble but the AEM and FSWerks are not CARB legal.

I went through the same headache as you when I lived in CA. I found a used Cosworth CAI for my car in the classifieds.

(http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2559) this intake will work for your car and has the CARB sticker but is meant for a different year and the 2.0 Duratec...it will directly bolt to your 2.3 and will work as designed but was just not approved for CARB for your particular motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts