Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Now Here's The Story. Thursday Night I FStopped At A Exxon And Put $10 In From E. About 10 Miles Later, I Stopped The Car. When I Went To Start Back Up, It Sounded Like It Wasn't Getting Fuel And Wouldn't Start. A Few Hours Later It Started Right Up. Friday In The Morning, No Problem. Same With A Few Times In The Afternoon. Then Around 6 Same Problem Reoccured. So I Let It Sit For A Few More Hours. Came Out And It Was Very Difficult To Get Strted, But It Did. Then A Few Hours Later, Wen't To Start And Wouldn't. And Has Been That Way ever Since. Actually Had To Get Towed Home Through AAA.

Plus The Past Two Days It Would Idle Anywhere From 2-3K.

Though The Starter Seems Fine And I Have Replaced All Of The Below Today:

Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Fuse
Fuel Pump Relay
Added 3 More Gallons Of Premium
Added Iso-Heet Additive

Still Same Problem. Though Believe It's Prolly The Fuel Pump. The Wanted To Inquire About Any Other Possible Causes Before I Try That. Plus Any One Know How Much A SVT Focus Fuel Pump May Cost?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
897 Posts
The next time it doesn't start, get someone to put their ear up to the fill tube of the gas tank with the cap removed. Turn the key on and off without starting the car. If the other person hears the pump turn on, then the pump is good.

Mouse

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I Grabbed Another Person And Took Turns Trying That. Both Times We heard Like A Clicking Noise When The Ignition Was Turned On. Could This Mean The Fuel Pumps Operational Or Am I hearing Something Else?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The fuel pump running sound is more of a "whirring" sound, not a clicking. When you turn the ignition to ON only, the pump should run for about a second or so and then shut off, which you should be able to hear. When you go to START, and the engine actually starts, the pump will start up, although you may not be able to hear it because of the noise from the engine.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any Other Ideas?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Next time it doesn't start disconnect fuel pump fuse. Spray starting fluid/carb cleaner into the throttle body and try to start it. If it fires up your fuel pump is bad.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Not 100%, but pretty sure this fuel pump will work with your SVT: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=984

If you decide to replace the pump that is, and I recommend replacing the entire thing, housing, strainer bags and all. I tried replacing just the pump and that failed miserably.

Also, that fuel pump I listed REALLY flows. I mean so hard it popped a hose off from the pump and I had to drop the entire tank again just to reattach it (much better this time though).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrighty........I Tried The Few Suggestions. When I Used The Starting Fluid. It Started Right Up. But When I Turned The Ignition To The On Position. With The Seat Belt Plugged In, All Accessories Turned Off And The Back Seat Removed. I Heard The Whirring/Humming Noise For Like AQ Second Or 2.

Any Other Suggestions Pr Ideas. I Have A Fuel Pump On Order. Though I Would Like To Try Any Other Possibilities Before Doing That Process In This Cold.

Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh And By The Way From The Time The Problem Started To The Time It Wouldn"t Start At All Was Barely 24 Hours

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Ecko200X

Did you check your ignition coil? Did you get a check engine light? I'm having a similar problem with mine....... Good luck and keep us updated[???:)] [???:)]

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I Did...........So I Ran A Diagnostic And These Were The Coddes.

P1233-Fuel Pump Driver Module Disabled Or Offline. (Fuel Pump Driver Module)

P1131-Lack Of H02S11 Switches-Sensor Indicates Lean. (See P2195)

P1121-Throttle Position Sensor A Incosistent With MAF/MAP Sensor. (See P0068)

B1681-Unknown.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Ecko200X

Did you check your ignition coil? Did you get a check engine light? I'm having a similar problem with mine....... Good luck and keep us updated[???:)] [???:)]
Don"t Think It's That. It Starts Up Fine With A Few QSquirts Of Starting Fluid Into The Throttle Body. And Runs Fine As Well. Actually Been Going Steady Idle For 1/2 An Hour Now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well Ecko200x
I hope you can solve your problem. I find myself stump aswell with my issue. Tomorrow I will be taking it in to run a diagnostics. Good luck and keep us updated.

[wrenchin]

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I Just Need To Look Up Those Reference Codes.

Though Heres A Question To Whom Ever Can Answer It.

The First Code I Listed P1233

Could That Be Refering To The Actual Fuel Pump Or The Electroni Sending Unit?

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
First thing I always do is reset the ECU. Try that, and see if it improves. Also, see what codes come back up after it is reset.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I Disconnected The Battery And Charged It For A Day Before I Checked The Codes, Does That Count?

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Yes it does.

The best way to check the fuel pump is with a fuel pressure gauge.

I'm not sure it's the pump though. Does the car run now?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah, 45 Minutes And Counting. Though With The Assitance Of A Few Squirts Of Starting Fluid And She's Golden. Otherwise It Won't Start At All.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
High Idled For About The First Minute, Then A Nice Steady Idle From There On After

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ok that sounds.... well, like what you thought..... it thinks the pump is disconnected, and it also says it's leaning out. try like what was said above, by disconnecting the battery and holding the brake down until you lose your electricity, then hook it up and try to start..... if it starts, just let the car sit there for like 3 minutes so it can go through it's relearning process..... but if you get the same error, I'm gonna have to say it's the fuel pump because of the lean-out and disconnected pumps codes.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts