Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car wouldn't start this morning. There was power for an instant and then nothing at all. I kepy trying to get it to turn on but there was no power at all. It was fine yesterday. I popped the hood and started checking the battery cables. They had some junk on them but it wasn't horrible. Tried again, got a little bit of power but it wouldn't even click. So I messed with the cables again and then started it right up, like there was noting wrong at all. I went to the store, came out, went to leave. Nothing again. Same situation. Started getting a little power and then after messing with the cables again it started right up.

When I got home I wanted to see if it would start up again so I turned off the car and then turned it right back on. Did it again and it still started. Tried it a third time, dead as a very dead thing.

SO all that to ask do you guys think that sounds cable related or maybe it's a bad ground? I don't know what direction to go in. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hmmm

Um. If you "mess" with something and it fixes it, I would assume that whatever you are messing with needs to get fixed. Furthermore saying you are messing with something and then it starts could mean anything.[slap]

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um. If you "mess" with something and it fixes it, I would assume that whatever you are messing with needs to get fixed. Furthermore saying you are messing with something and then it starts could mean anything.[slap]
[shhh]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you by chance take the cables off to clean the off the junk?? What seems like a little bit of corrosion at the top of the cables can actually mean there's a heck of a lot of corrosion between the connection clamp and the battery terminals. My suggestion would be to take the terminals off and give them a good scrub with a wire brush and put them back on. If you still have problems then it sounds like a loose (or corroded) ground, or a bad cable. Be cautious that if there is a faulty connection the battery may not be taking a charge from the alternator. So while you can get by just messing with the wires, eventually that may run out.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[facepalm]

Ducks that walk, quack, fly, swim, and eat like ducks- are ducks.
Yes... I was tired and in a hurry. Please forgive me. I don't need any crap today. Took off cables, cleaned the terminals, still won't start.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do you have interior lights and does the dash come on when you try to start it and it won't start? If so, I would check all of the wires coming off the battery, see where they go and check their condition. If you have a bad lead going to the starter it could make good connection one time, letting you start the car, but not another time and leaving you stuck. How old is your battery? I had to replace mine a couple of years ago, would start most of the time, then everything would be dead the next time I tried to start up and go.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. This got worse. The grounds looked rusty so I decided to take them off and clean them. The heads snapped off of both of them. So now there is no way to remove the screws and replace them so I have no grounds. I don't know what to do to fix it. Lol.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was the battery, badabing. Attached the grounds to something else. Back on the road again. Thanks all.

·
Banned
252 Posts
I just replaced my own ground wires....had the same intermittent start that you described in the first post. Replaced mine with a 6g. wire and bolted it in the same location as the stock wire...the one that goes from neg. battery post to the chassis to the right of the stock intake location. Should cost less than 10.00 bucks to get wire, terminal post and install....hope that helps and please ignore the clique. I understand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts