Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I own a 2002 Ford Focus....the car was working perfectly until this morning. I try to start it, and it won't turn on...after a couple tries the 'click click click' starts and it won't do anything, any ideas for me to ponder on?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Very possible the alternator. do any of you accessories (radio etc) turn on?
If they do then my best guess would be the alternator is going/gone.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You could have a low battery from the alternator going. Or you could have dirty battery terminals... or a dirty power or ground connection at the starter. I'd check the battery terminals and the starter first. If you can get the starter out an autoparts store should be able to check it out for you, same with the alternator but the threads here make it sound like a real PIA to get it out so if everything else checks out it may be worth having a garage check the alternator.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Word... What mvhudson said.

If I had to guess Id say it was a weak battery because those starters are damn near bulletproof. I had a starter rebuilder whos been in the business since the 50s tell me he has seen diesel forklifts with smaller starters than the one I brought in. He was quite impressed by the build quality of the little ford focus starter. He took it all apart, looked at the bushes and terminals or whatever and put the magneto back in and that was that. Did not even charge me for an hour of his time.

Just my 2c for today.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
I don't think it would be the starter, because it is clicking. It has to be the battery not delivering a starting spark to the plugs or whatever.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Roughly speaking, 80% of the time this sort of clicking is just a battery going dead that needs replaced (if the battery is more than 3 years old, this goes up to 95%, if the battery is less than a couple of years old, this goes down to 30%.)

15% of the time it is simply loose or corroded battery connectors. The other 5% of the time it is something like a bad or weak alternator that is undercharging, or not charging, the battery, or a loose or corroded ground or other wire/connection.

Of course, if you have done something that greatly increases the current draw, such as a monster audio system, then the odds of a fried alternator goes up quite a bit.

So do the easy thing first, check the condition of the batery cables and connections, loosen, clean, and retighten the battery connectors. If that doesn't do it, then test the battery. After that see about having the alternator tested.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just had this problem but it was preceeded by the engine sputtering, the dash electronics flickering, the radio going on and off while driving down the road. I made it to the Ford dealership where it died and did not re-start, but just 'clicked'. It was the alternator and it was 273 bucks with another 250 in labor. I thought it was pretty expensive for a alternator, what gives?

·
Registered
875 Posts
When my alternator went out, my car would do that EXACT same thing once the battery was dead. Sounds like either the alternator or a dead battery. I'd replace the battery and see if it loses its charge. If it does, you probably need to have your alternator replaced. It's a bitch.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
To sum it all up...

The alternator cannot cause it to just click because the alternator isn't working when you try to start the car. It's definitely something to do with the battery or terminals. If it's the battery, then you'll need to find the source of the problem, which is probably the alternator or the cells in the battery itself are dead.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
blanezx3 said:
To sum it all up...

The alternator cannot cause it to just click because the alternator isn't working when you try to start the car. It's definitely something to do with the battery or terminals. If it's the battery, then you'll need to find the source of the problem, which is probably the alternator or the cells in the battery itself are dead.
Couldn't have said it any better myself!!! +1 on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts