Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit someone in a parking lot. The only damage is slight and it dented my by bumper and my hood is slightly out of alignment. The car won't start and the odometer no longer displays my trip mileage or total mileage, just dashes instead. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to no avail. Help/suggestions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check the trunk or your owners manual for a fuel pump shut off switch. Some cars have them. They trip in case of a crash.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
In the passenger foot well there is a button in the kick panel. This is an emergency fuel cut. See if for some reason this was tripped. Not sure if that is the answer, but its a quick item to check. Just push it down.

Edit: this is what Jim was describing above.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more information: when I turn the key to ignition the car doesn't even attempt to start. No sounds of anything clicking or trying.

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
Have you tried the fuel shut off switch? That's the first place I'd look.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,500 Posts
Is it an actual switch? Mine looks like a push button. Have pushed it to no avail.
Yes, it is a push button in the kick panel.

I see that you have checked your battery cables, but have you measured your battery voltage? Put a load on the battery (such as the headlights) and see if the voltage is way off. If so, the battery sustained internal damage.

If you have a second car with a similar battery, you could swap them as a quick way to check.

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Forget the switch for right now, if showing dashes and nothing else you have shorted wire somewhere. Start looking at your fuses.

The fuel inertia switch should have probably tripped there but it won't cause the dashes to come up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery was fine. Fuses in the engine bay were fine, didnt check the ones in the cabin. Left the car there (college campus lot) but will check fuses tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to get it towed.

Tried leaving it unplugged for 10 mins to reset the computer, no luck. The damage is entirely cosmetic with the exception of whatever is stopping the car from turning on. Any ideas on what else I could try when I go back to it tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Check alternator and coil connections. If either have corrosion they may have been knocked loose. Visual inspection of impact area for pinched wires...which I would imagine you've done already.
Batteries don't like getting knocked around but I can't imagine one crapping out after a single low speed hit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery was fine. Fuses in the engine bay were fine, didnt check the ones in the cabin. Left the car there (college campus lot) but will check fuses tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to get it towed.

Tried leaving it unplugged for 10 mins to reset the computer, no luck. The damage is entirely cosmetic with the exception of whatever is stopping the car from turning on. Any ideas on what else I could try when I go back to it tomorrow?
Did you manage to solve this problem if so what was wrong?

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
You're requesting people from a 7 year old post to answer...........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts