Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will crank but will not start. no codes, checked coil, checked spark plug wires, checked spark plugs, checked the crank sensor, removed trans just in case, no issue. installed new PCM, still not staring,. when i checked the injector wiring busbar only one signal would transmit when the engine was cranked. please help!!![?|]

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A car needs three things to start.

1 fuel
2 spark
3 compression

Are you getting fuel to the objector?

Have you done a compression check?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
1) Listen for the fuel pump to buzz when you turn the key from OFF to ON. If you're unfamiliar with the sound, go perform the test in any EFI vehicle that runs. If you can get an assistant who is familiar with the sound, then have them open the fuel cap and listen there while you turn the key. Be sure that they touch the car somewhere before leaning their ear over to the fuel hole to prevent static spark.

2) If you hear no fuel pump, the first thing you should do is check the fuel pump fuse. The owner's manual will give you the location of the fuse in the appropriate fuse box. If that fuse is good, then grab a paperclip and remove the passenger kick panel where the fuel cutoff switch is. Unplug the cutoff switch, and bypass the switch at the connector with the paperclip- make sure that the paperclip is not touching metal. If that doesn't work, you'll need a digital multi-meter for any further tests.

3) Don't worry about PATS, if it cranks, then PATS is ok.

4) Another fuel test- which would be an indication of a compression problem- is to crank the engine for a very short time, then remove a spark plug and sniff. If you smell fuel, then your problem is compression. Remove the timing belt cover and inspect the belt. If you don't see a belt, there's your problem. The Zetec is non-interference so you should be fine.

I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least a sputter or a pop if you have a bad timing belt. Typically you'll hear get some sort of fire or explosion, but no running. You should be reading 12v to the injectors if the injectors are powered. Injectors are switched at the ground, so you'll always find power on injectors with the key ON unless you have a relay or fuse problem there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Car will not start. Checked everything. Reply to Thread

yes i have compression and power is going to the injectors as well as fuel. i forgot to mention that when we did what i guess you could call an active scan of the car while it was being cranked, the PCM was not reading any RPMs. i replaced that sensor, still not reading, and the wires were checked visually for damage, there is none. they were also checked for signal transmission, all good. the sensor has a direct link to the computer from what i can tell.

in regards to fuel, for some reason the injector busbar is not sending signals to the injectors. when i tested it it would send one signal and thats it. i know there is supposed to be a regular transmission of signals to the injectors.

And i have a new PCM.

????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts