Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with Winter back, and my new car gettingwashed each time I come back in.. The dirt is really sticking to the meguiars polish. More so than the Zymol wax i used to use.

Is ther any wax which does not hold on to dirt?
I would be fine with a fraction less gloss if the wax finish did not hold on to the dirt so much.
(The road grime like from wet Winter freeway driving.. Along the botton half of the doors.. and the hatch areas.. The stuff seems electrostatically charged and sticking..
So any ideas of a wax which does NOT do that would be great.
(I would guess you California/Florida guys would not have many opportunities for this problem?)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I never heard of a wax holding dirt. Could it be the wet surface holding it to the paint? I know some have more static when doing the final dusting making it hard to finish. You should do half and half on the back of the car with each in the name of science. [:D] I am using surf city products now. See my pic in the -Great Polish/Sealant - Wax Combo thread, post #9. I plan to try Megs Utlimate products when this runs out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unless you hose down your car with NeverWet, this is just going to happen. Wax, as long as it has been buffed out correctly, doesn't what I would call hold dirt. We do live in the midwest where the DOT's love salt. Add in thawed snow, grime, and whatever else is on the road and your car is going to get dirty, regardless of wax. Normally I try to toss on a couple coats of wax, or try to fit in a few more waxing sessions before winter hits and that does seem to help. I use Meguiars wax btw

But at the end of the day, I live in Michigan and my car is going to dirty from November-March. I basically just live with it until spring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've read marketing statements for products that brag they have the slickest finish sealant/wax, but I call BS. If there is a way to scientifically test the slickness factor, I'm betting the average Joe/Jane won't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Finish Kare makes an anti static detail spray, that is the type of product you are looking for. It is not a 100% cure all, but it does help. And there are far more superior sealants that do a better job than the Meguires you are using. I can help you grasshopper.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Finish Kare makes an anti static detail spray, that is the type of product you are looking for. It is not a 100% cure all, but it does help. And there are far more superior sealants that do a better job than the Meguires you are using. I can help you grasshopper.
This^^^^^^^ I'd go for a sealant over a wax. Like Wolfgang's sealant. I also find Meg's ultimate wash & wax anywhere works great on the rear end, where it gets dirty caused by vacuum= no air flowing over it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I've tried everything I can think of to stop this phenomenon over the last 20 years but nothing has worked. Just a fact of life: A fresh coat of wax is a dust magnet.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Never have tried it. Stumbled across it tonight.

Chemical Guys Vintage Series Speed Wipe Quick Detailer

Super slick formula
Fresh cherry scent
UV protection
Reduces static cling by 75%
Enhances shine and protection
Removes dirt, dust, fingerprints and water spots

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Never have tried it. Stumbled across it tonight.

Chemical Guys Vintage Series Speed Wipe Quick Detailer

Super slick formula
Fresh cherry scent
UV protection
Reduces static cling by 75%
Enhances shine and protection
Removes dirt, dust, fingerprints and water spots
This is for the outside??? btw Jeff, like your avatar,,,,,

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
This is for the outside??? btw Jeff, like your avatar,,,,,

That's what is says on the website. outside. Makes it shine good. And even better, smells like cherries. That must attract the birds...

Ahh thanks. Just my headlight, I don't care for it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
That's what is says on the website. outside. Makes it shine good. And even better, smells like cherries. That must attract the birds...

Ahh thanks. Just my headlight, I don't care for it.
Yea, I don't care for my stock style headlights. Love the angel eyes, but sticking w/ the stock ones= lot less hassel. Just install a pr of quality bulbs & I'm good. Some things I leave stock for lot less hassels......

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
My quality bulbs, Sylvania ultra whatever's. One burnt out and the other has faded to stock bulb intensity.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
My quality bulbs, Sylvania ultra whatever's. One burnt out and the other has faded to stock bulb intensity.
They have a 1yr warranty....

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
It's been a solid year and a half or 2 years. Too late.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Chiming in…

I've used CG's synthetic slick detailer… It's all right. It's suppose to reduce the static cling, but with the dust in our garage… it will settle on the car, nothing is going to prevent that.

It smells nice tho!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts