Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my new focus for about a week now and I am already getting the itch to clean it (it has rained almost everyday I owned the car). As I am coming from driving an old 1994 jeep that never got much love when it came to a good bath,I have a few questions:

Do companies (Mothers, Meguiars, ext.) that make car wash products offer "starter" kits for both interior & exterior cleaning/maintenance?

If so does anyone have any experience with these or prefer one company over another?

Should I wax the car this soon, or does it come with some sort of wax from the factory?

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
as far as kits i have no information to give you as i really know nothing on them.

but waxing is not going to hurt the car...from what i thought, its only going to protect your finish

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
u can wax it anytime and it's be good for the paint and make things like bugs much easier to come clean....
i like using lexol products for leather interiors and meguiers NXT wax (no white dust and great shine) for exterior... I pretty much use meguiers products exculsively, like their ultimate detailer and their vinyl products.
i also use only microfibre wash mits and towels for the detailing, glass cleaning and washing (w/ lots of suds that don't strip wax)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in an apartment complex, so my access to car washing is limited. What I've been using is a waterless wash and wax all in one with carnauba wax. It works great and works on all surfaces including windows, rims, headlights, etc. The really nice thing about using on the windows is that it noticeably cuts down on fingerprints.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I live in an apartment complex, so my access to car washing is limited. What I've been using is a waterless wash and wax all in one with carnauba wax. It works great and works on all surfaces including windows, rims, headlights, etc. The really nice thing about using on the windows is that it noticeably cuts down on fingerprints.
Sounds like your using FW1 that stuff is garbage, your paint is very new and you'll be better off taking it to a car wash then waxing it yourself

·
Registered
155 Posts
Try searching for Optimum No Rinse Car Wash on Amazon. The stuff is awesome and they had the best price. With a few good quality microfiber towels you can wash your car with 1 bucket and no hose. It really works well. As far as protection for the paint I tend to prefer sealants to waxes because they last longer and I like the look with metallics. I bought some Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant to try on my Sterling Grey Focus. I'll post a review as soon as I get a chance to try it. It isn't cheap, but is supposed to be excellent on darker metallic finishes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is my birthday wish list. (you can get from Amazon if needed...)

Meguiar’s extra thick Microfiber Wash Mitt. $5
Water Magnet® Microfiber Drying Towel $8.99
Quik Interior Detailer $6.99
NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 $17.99
Meguiar's G-12664 NXT Generation Car Wash. 64 oz. liquid $6.19

I have used the Meguiar’s Gold Class car wax for 14 years,all on the same vehicle, and it still shines a beautiful Candy Apple Red. I am upgrading to the NXT line for my new Focus when it comes. I also recommend the Gold Class leather cleaner.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like your using FW1 that stuff is garbage, your paint is very new and you'll be better off taking it to a car wash then waxing it yourself
Can you elaborate on "garbage"? I've been using this stuff for years on my cars and have never had a problem. I agree there are better waxes out there, but for the time and money I have to spend on my car with this stuff, it is awesome.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have been using the Ice Synthetic Wax...it does the job. going to investing into an actual buffer/polisher and get some real wax when this stuff is finished. its easy to apply and buff...but it does not last long at all.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you do not have the facilities to clean it well where you live, find a really good detail-er and pay them to detail the car and seal the paint with a good sealant. You should be good for about six months, and just have to do normal washing.
If you are going to do it yourself, don't forget to clay the car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
there are lots of guides and such online with how to properly detail your car

1 wash your car panel by panel so the soap suds do not dry causing water marks
2 Dry off the car
3 Clay bar the car
4 Polish
5 wax/seal

youtube or google and you will see this is usually the step by step people follow

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Auto Washing & Detailing"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts