Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with their car unlocking itself? My hubby said that the keyfob is very sensitive and that dropping the keyfob(with other keys attached) or swining the keys, can cause the keyfob unlock to trigger. Trying to find out if this is true because I feel the issue is a problem in our neighborhood, but my hubby shoots me down saying its the keyfob. Is anyone else having "sensitive keyfob" unlock syndrome?

Sorry I am new and did not see a box to start a new thread.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Has anyone had problems with their car unlocking itself? My hubby said that the keyfob is very sensitive and that dropping the keyfob(with other keys attached) or swining the keys, can cause the keyfob unlock to trigger. Trying to find out if this is true because I feel the issue is a problem in our neighborhood, but my hubby shoots me down saying its the keyfob. Is anyone else having "sensitive keyfob" unlock syndrome?

A mod will move you soon. Wrong area to post. No problem though. Even hitting the unlockbuttom the car will lock itself back up after a minute or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone had problems with their car unlocking itself?[offtopic] My hubby said that the keyfob is very sensitive and that dropping the keyfob(with other keys attached) or swining the keys, [???:)]can cause the keyfob unlock to trigger. Trying to find out if this is true because I feel the issue is a problem in our neighborhood,[:(!] but my hubby shoots me down saying its the keyfob. Is anyone else having "sensitive keyfob" unlock syndrome?[mad]

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A mod will move you soon. Wrong area to post. No problem though. Even hitting the unlockbuttom the car will lock itself back up after a minute or two.
I wish that were true, the car was unlocked at 5am this morning. That's why I am trying to find out if it really is the keyfob or this group of no goods that drink beer smoke weed and been terrorizing my neighborhood. I saw them on camera lingering near our car, next thing I know the freaking car is unlocked....Never had this issue until these a-holes started hanging in my neighborhood. Question: Why would the keyfob relock the car if it mistakenly unlocks? That has NEVER happened to us while using the keyfob to lock our car. I have always had to push that button to relock the car if I unlocked it by mistake. How did you get an automatic keyfob locker, and where can I get one?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
I wish that were true, the car was unlocked at 5am this morning. That's why I am trying to find out if it really is the keyfob or this group of no goods that drink beer smoke weed and been terrorizing my neighborhood. I saw them on camera lingering near our car, next thing I know the freaking car is unlocked....Never had this issue until these a-holes started hanging in my neighborhood. Question: Why would the keyfob relock the car if it mistakenly unlocks? That has NEVER happened to us while using the keyfob to lock our car. I have always had to push that button to relock the car if I unlocked it by mistake. How did you get an automatic keyfob locker, and where can I get one?
Follow Nate's Link...

It should just be a security feature. Like walking away and your phone hits it on accident but you don't know. Unlock it when it is locked one time and as long as you don't open the doors it should lock back on itself, normally around 2 minutes or so, thats for my 2002 though. It could be something with the frequency that it uses. But i don't know for sure. Or you can take it to the dealership since it should still be under warrenty and see what they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One More Thing: Let my clarify
The car is locked like after coming home from work ok. Then around 5am I go to get in my car and it's already unlocked. I have never touched the keys once I get home for the day. Hours later my car is somehow unlocked. As I said I have neighbors that have adult kids with no ambition but to be THUGS in the neighborhood and bother peoples property. I saw on 20/20 years ago how a guy had a problem where this person was caught on camera walking by his car in the middle of the night, then on the camera you see the guy come back, OPEN dudes car door, get in it, steal stuff, then exit and disappear. The show went on to elaborate finding that the perp was using some type of device that could unlock the car without the alarm going off.
I am trying to find out or discern if that could be the problem or a faulty keyfob. As a result right now every 5 hours I go outside and make sure my car is locked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow Nate's Link...

It should just be a security feature. Like walking away and your phone hits it on accident but you don't know. Unlock it when it is locked one time and as long as you don't open the doors it should lock back on itself, normally around 2 minutes or so, thats for my 2002 though. It could be something with the frequency that it uses. But i don't know for sure. Or you can take it to the dealership since it should still be under warrenty and see what they say.
Thanks I think I will take it into the dealership. I pray that is my problem, thanks guys, I'll let you know how things go.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
To the OP, this is a feature of the MK1 (not sure of the MK2), the MK3 (2012+) will not re-lock the doors if you accidentally click unlock and don't open a door AFAIK..... Maybe the IA keys will, but the standard ones don't.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I actually had a simlar problem the other day but it was when i was driving. it would just unlock it self on it's own. i would lock it again and a couple minutes later it would do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, took all the applicable posts out of that focus & general thread it didn't fit in & made a new one here.

PM'd the OP with a link to the location.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you by chance have the smartkey option on your vehicle? It automatically unlocks the car when the key fob is within range of the vehicle. Next time, try going outside without the keys and see if its still locked?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Do you by chance have the smartkey option on your vehicle? It automatically unlocks the car when the key fob is within range of the vehicle. Next time, try going outside without the keys and see if its still locked?

Now that could be a viable answer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My intelligent access key does not open the door until I stick my hand in the handle or press the button. It does not automatically do anything, unless I try to lock the key IN the car.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks I think I will take it into the dealership. I pray that is my problem, thanks guys, I'll let you know how things go.
Hi FocusDC68,

Have you had the chance to make the appointment yet? Safety is our number one priority, and I want to be sure this concern is documented fully. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll send this up the line for additional assistance.

I actually had a simlar problem the other day but it was when i was driving. it would just unlock it self on it's own. i would lock it again and a couple minutes later it would do the same thing.
Hi Jburks,

My offer extends to you, as well. Are your locks continuing to unlock while you drive? I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer, and sending me the info requested above so I can look into this.

Meagan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts