Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will keep this short.

Last night my car wouldn't start in the parking lot so I had it towed home. I know it is something electrical and this is why:

Turn the key ON and everything works, battery is good, fuel pump kicks on. Go to START and nothing....no click, whine or anything from the starter.
I am thinking it is an electrical connection or ground to the starter that is bad, or possibly that safety switch in the clutch that the car won't start till the clutch is pushed in.

What do you think?????????

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Clutch switch

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update. First thing i did was turn the key to try and start. It still didnt start but i got a big click out of it. Also the problem arose last night after i washed my car. I went to leave it took a coupke turns before i got it. I should have left it home then...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All i heard was one loud click and nothing. Not a constant clicking.
I ordered a clutch safety switch that should be here today. If its not that then i gotta get to the starter and thats gonna require removing the intake manifold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also think it's the starter, check the relay's first if not then go for the starter itself, cuz from what I know is the starter is mechanically bad you still will hear some noise made by the starter, but if you say that heard a loud click and then nothing - maybe something burned. Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think its the starter itself because those dont go instantly, you can tell when it takes longer for the car to turn over. I checked the starter fuse and it was good. I saw the starter relay but how do u check it?
Im hoping this cheap clutch switch is the fix. It will be in tomorrow night after work.
At least im lucky enough to have another vehicle to use till then.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The clutch switch wouldn't allow anything to click if it weren't operating right, the click is a relay or solenoid trying to do it's thing. If there were a problem with the clutch switch the PCM wouldn't allow the starter relay or solenoid to click. How do you know you're battery or charging system is good? My starter is going out now too, it will turn over but kicks out again after a couple seconds of cranking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery is new. The charging system checked out. I think its the switch because last night when i was stranded in the parking i turned the key a hundrd times and it never clicked. There were no starting noises at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dont think its the starter itself because those dont go instantly, you can tell when it takes longer for the car to turn over. I checked the starter fuse and it was good. I saw the starter relay but how do u check it?
Im hoping this cheap clutch switch is the fix. It will be in tomorrow night after work.
At least im lucky enough to have another vehicle to use till then.
not true. We had a starter go out on our 08 suburban. It had around 95K miles on it at the time. No hint of any issues up until it went out at church one wednesday night. The relay would click, it just wouldn't turn over. I first thought it couldnt be the starter too so I got a new battery. That didn't work so I had it towed in for repair since it was under warranty. It was a bad starter afterall.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I replaced the switch hoping it would be an easy fix and of course it didnt work. So now i'm in the process of removing the intake manifold to get down to the starter. So to those of you who guessed starter, is there anything I should check before I take it off???
and what do you recommend as a good brand for a starter, ford motorcraft? advance auto has worldwide? Beck/Arnley? and Remy?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Anything with a good warranty. They all fail at one time or another.

Starter kicking out, this is a sign of a weak Solenoid.
Starter not starting/engaging, this is a sign the starter motor is bad. When mine went out I pulled it completely apart and found rust on the stator. I cleaned the rust off and put is back together. Worked for 3 starts. Car sat overnight and wouldn't start again. Surface rust was preventing a complete circuit driving amperage through the roof and kicking the solenoid out.
Installed new started, problem solved.
There is a coating on the stator to prevent rust that I had inadvertently scrubbed off of mine. Heat, oil, weather, time and use will eat that coating over time.

Oh, the best part is the gear drive is plastic. Plastic gears and cone. I was amazed they stood up for 174,xxx miles in my car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright I ordered my new starter from ford for $192 but there is a $75 core so in the end $117 for a starter is pretty good.
My only question, is there anything special I need for installing it? tools? gaskets? any lube of any type?

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Just disconnect the battery first; otherwise, unbolt the old, bolt in the new. There are two nuts holding the charging harness to the solenoid.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
small hands? lol
Well than I guess I failed on that one, lol

Apparently I misunderstood what a core charge is, so my starter cost $281, they apperently take the price of the starter and add the $75 core to the price which you will get back when you bring in the old one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So for the first time in 3 days I have had a chance to work on it and the biggest pain is getting the freaking intake manifold out of the way! I didn't realize there were so many connections on the stupid thing, and the biggest pain is unhooking the dsi cable from the bracket on the manifold.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update, As of yesterday the car is back up and running again!
It started right up on the first crank, which is always a good feeling because it means I remembered to hook everything back up and didn't miss anything.
It was a painful week not getting to drive it! What am I gonna do when I store it for the winter...talk about going into withdrawl.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts