Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 dohc engine, car will start good but will not stay running, if I press on gas pedal it will stay running but let go of gas and car dies, also after running car for 30 sec the fan kicks in, what is my problem

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does the car fire up and die immediately after or is there a delay? Sounds like a faulty idle air control valve. Mine would do this last winter but it fixed itself [dunno]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey,

I had a ford Taurus where the fan would remain on after key removed. I wonder if it could be related to switch that regulates that. Perhaps you have 2 separate issues going on. They might appear to be related but they could be different. My fix for the ford was find the Relay Censor right of battery/ fuse box and tap with end of wooden hammer. See what this did for me was to disengage the stuck switch. Never had fan staying on after fact.

I recommend looking into relay switch for fan exclusively though. Please do not hit with wooden hammer handle as it might not work for your car. The point of my sharing this is that it did work for my Ford Taurus. Which was plagued with electrical things.

Also upon doing quick google search. I found this. They mention several things.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t649_ds524160

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Tps or iac i suppose. When it runs, does it run rough, or smooth as glass? If it runs rough, you may have a spark issue. (Coil pack, plugs, wires).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2001 dohc engine, car will start good but will not stay running, if I press on gas pedal it will stay running but let go of gas and car dies, also after running car for 30 sec the fan kicks in, what is my problem
my 2001 ford focus DOHC, it all started when I pulled out of my parking stall, my fuel was low with the fuel lite on. stopped and got out of car to get some thing and car stalled, so I tried to start car and would not run, so went to get Gerry can of gas, car will start but not stay running,got no engine lite come on but car will run if you keep your foot on gas pedal. got my scan reader and no codes come up. got under the car and seen the medal tubing going up to the EGR valve that the nut was loose and slide down tube, tighten nut and still will not run

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tdrranch-

I was curious about your post so I looked a little. It appears that checking fuel pressure should be done. perhaps a clogged fuel filter? Or a failing Electronic fuel pump. I use to own a 1980 something dodge colt. It had similar sounding issues. Now IM not a mechanic but if your car isn't staying running then it would seem possible this could explain away what may be happening.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/ford/focus/fuel-pump-replacement-cost

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27712300-Symptomps-of-a-failing-fuel-pump.

Obviousy the goal is to get to what best explains which is causing said issue.

FACT: yours is a 2001 Ford Focus you said
FACT uknown- Has an electronic fuel pump been replaced ever that you are aware of BEFORE? Additionally how about fuel filter when was that last done?
If you don't know answer to either and car has over 100, 000 then in my opinion its a good place to start.

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/ford/focus/fuel-pump-problems.php

I hope this all helps.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Check your Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) and your throttle position sensor. Clean your mass air flow sensor and your pcv valve. Make sure all connections are tight and all electrical connections are tight and grounded correctly. Also, check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Starts runs 1-2seconds then stall. Most common cause is debris in MAF sensor. Especially after checking or changing air filter. Easy test but will set code is to disconnect MAF connector then start if it stays running clean out sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts