Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when I try to turn the car over, it can take anywhere from 2 - 4 seconds of trying. Other times, it turns over immediately. I do not know what can be causing this, but would like to look into it.

What are the primary culprits of an engine not kicking over immediately?

Thank you guys.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Delay in cranking or delay in starting?

'05 had a starting delay issue that shouldn't affect the '07 (IAC opening & programming), trying key on & off to pump up fuel before cranking can help tell if pressure drops too much when off or doesn't rise quickly enough when cranked (without hooking up scan tool).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delay in cranking or delay in starting?

'05 had a starting delay issue that shouldn't affect the '07 (IAC opening & programming), trying key on & off to pump up fuel before cranking can help tell if pressure drops too much when off or doesn't rise quickly enough when cranked (without hooking up scan tool).
Sorry, sailor for not being more specific. It cranks, and I pump gas and after a few seconds, will start. So delay in starting.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Try turning it on & off without cranking before turning on again & crank until it starts, no throttle should be needed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try turning it on & off without cranking before turning on again & crank until it starts, no throttle should be needed.
Ok. That is easy to do. But is this something I should start doing each time I'm about crank the vehicle?

-turn key on (without cranking)
-turn key off
-turn key on and crank

What if it has difficulty starting up still after doing those steps?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First guess, something that's helped others.

If it works well, would be something for every time you start it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, no problem. I'll start to do that then. How come it is difficult sometimes? It's weird really.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
This is just a guess, that may or may not help.

For more description than my first post, there's a check valve to keep fuel & pressure in the line to the engine when shut down (won't hold pressure forever). If it isn't holding well all the time, giving the system time to get up to normal pressure before starting can help instead of cranking for a while to do the same thing. Doesn't pump indefinitely just by turning the key on, so turning it on twice gives it a better shot at being ready to start - IF that happens to be a problem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is just a guess, that may or may not help.

For more description than my first post, there's a check valve to keep fuel & pressure in the line to the engine when shut down (won't hold pressure forever). If it isn't holding well all the time, giving the system time to get up to normal pressure before starting can help instead of cranking for a while to do the same thing. Doesn't pump indefinitely just by turning the key on, so turning it on twice gives it a better shot at being ready to start - IF that happens to be a problem.
Thank you sailor! Great explanation. I like to understand why I am doing a certain action or why I am experiencing an effect. Put it into simple terms. Perfect!

Many thanks! [:D]

·
Registered
207 Posts
My dad has an 05 se and he has this problem horribly I'd get in and pump the gas for about 5 seconds before it came on, cranking the whole time, eventually his ce light came on and said fuel rail pressure sensor ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410628761.219455.jpg
So maybe when the issue gets so bad this should be replaced? My 05 st is just starting to have the delay too. We both have manuals.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great information, zeexfive. So what parts did you guys replace and did it fix it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Havnt replaced it yet, just erased the light to see what would happen but it came back on, we've had too much other stuff on our plate that we havnt replaced it, when we do I'll post here to let you know

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Havnt replaced it yet, just erased the light to see what would happen but it came back on, we've had too much other stuff on our plate that we havnt replaced it, when we do I'll post here to let you know
Thank you. I'd appreciate it. On a plus note, sailor's advice is working. No hesitations so far since trying his advice. Thank you sailor!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good to hear it's helping Gudziel!

ZX5's is a question as to whether the sensor isn't working right or may even be leaking into the intake. There's a vacuum hose to the intake he should check for any gas being present. Flooring the throttle cuts off fuel to clear 'flooding", and pumping the pedal might be doing that intermittently - or just giving it extra air to do the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts