Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Focus Fanatics.

I did some searching around and it doesn't look like anybody else has experienced this, so I guess it's not a common problem. Every time I fill my car's tank all the way, the inside of the car smells like gas for the first few dozen miles. It's not an overwhelming smell, but definitely noticeable. I made sure that I wasn't just me getting gas on my hands or something like that. If I only fill my tank up halfway everything is fine, no smell. I have not noticed any drop in gas mileage and nothing major has happened around the filler neck area. Car is a 2000 ZX3 (11/99 manu date).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,186 Posts
Don't overfill tank. Depending on the lay of the concrete at filling station car can tilt one way to overfill too easy, there is supposed to be airspace above fuel or you get that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could be the charcoal canister has gone bad since you have overfilled too many times, it can get ruined. I'd start with checking the gas cap and maybe just try a new one, see if that does the trick though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice folks.

I appears as though I have been over-filling it lately. Just got some gas in Jersey and the man filling it up just let the pump stop by itself. No smell currently in the car.

On a related note, is it true that you have to drop the rear sub-frame to replace charcoal canister?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts