Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue? Basically, when I am slowing down and merging into another lane my car just shuts off. This is with the stock and SCT Tune. I havent the foggiest idea of what it may be.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
** Moved to Tech Chat Area **

This has happened to me before and I found it was one of 2 things, either my alternator wasn't holding a charge or the cable between the alternator and the battery was loose and not connecting ... and I would discharge the battery because I would be ending up just running on that or the alternator.

I would start the check up there.

-Ray-

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
^^^^ Yup!! And usually the dash lights start doing really strange things. Different warning lights will appear, and then the engine will just turn off. Battery and charging system load tests are in order , any parts store will check it out free

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its like it stumbles for a few secs then just shuts off. Hell, yesterday it did it while i was accelerating hard. I got nothing.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Yup ... definitely sounds like the alternator gave up on you.

As stated ... just take your alternator up to an autoZone to check it. It should cost you somewhere around 150-170 for a new alternator.

-Ray-

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just replaced the alternator about 10k miles ago.....took it to Autozone and yeah nothing everything checked out fine

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yeah , it starts out intermittantly and keeps getting worse. Do some searching on Alternator and Dead battery threads on here. You will find numerous write ups about replacing the Alt and then having to do it again in a short period of time. The rebuilt alts from just about every parts chain store are not to good. Best bet is wait until it does it again, and really watch your dash for the light dance.. What really happens is the alt quits charging and when the voltage in the battery gets low enough , the ECM freaks out, and cant operate correctly. Then you can start the car right back up and it will do it again, a couple more times,and then will strand you some place nice...Take the Alt to a local rebuilder, tell him the voltage regulator in the Alt is junk, and to replace it with a heavy duty one. Mines been in now for over a year and no problems..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just been having this problem myself. Will give this a try myself to see if it works.

Good news is it started happening after I already smogged and registered my car for 2012.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Here is a different idea...
Engine mounts it happened to me
If the position of the engine has moved then that will affect the position of the throttle cable
Assuming that your front passenger mount is hydraulic type...
See that large black plastic cap on the passenger side mount? Underneath that black cap is a 'bubble' or dome of hydraulic fluid pushing up on that cap. If there has been damage and the fluid has leaked out then you will be able to slightly move the large black plastic cap up or done by a fraction of an inch

·
ninja lurker status
23,134 Posts
Im with the alternator idea. Mine was doing that. Ended up being that the cable from the battery to the alternator was corroded. also, it was arcing against the frame.. Luckily it was covered under warranty, since I had been having major issues with Carmax. If it didnt start right back up, i would suggest the sensor in the steering column. Mine would act up and not register teh chip in the key, and then it wouldnt start for 2 hrs.

in short, check alternator and wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand this is an ancient thread, but I've started having the same issue. It is not the alternator, or the battery as both are brand new. When I'm slowing down past 50, or even cruising at 50, my RPMs do a dance getting as low as 200RPM, and if I give it some gas, will jump back up to about 1800, but immediately descend again to 200, and if I'm lucky, drops to 0 and the car shuts down. Brought it to a mechanic, he couldn't figure it out, and this problem happens every single time I commute to or from work (~55km), but only starts to happen when I've nearly reached my destination, suggesting that it's caused by some sort of build up (maybe pressure?) as the car is running.

Any thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts