Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Car shuts off in neutral

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SPIinDisguise 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of this. On occasion when I pull in the driveway I will put my car into neutral and coast into the garage. But recently when I do that, power goes out.

Right when I put it in neutral, the check engine light comes on, oil light, and battery light come on. Power steering goes out, and the car shuts off.

Once stopped, I put it in park, start it up, and nothing out of the ordinary then.

Any ideas on what this could be?

#8 ·
For vacuum lines, any on the engine are possibilities with the PCV hoses being the most common for problems.

Try the thing in the driveway more to see when it does this. IAC could be responding a bit slow, or vacuum leak could make that worse. It has to first drop the throttle to keep it from over revving when you put it in neutral, then open up again to "catch" it before it stalls as rpm drops fast. Anything other than perfect condition could cause a stall in that situation.

I'd guess that in this situation the IAC would close when you pop it into neutral, then the engine would drop below idle rpm before the IAC would respond again. If it won't stay running at minimum rpm (IAC unplugged situation) due to anything less than perfect, the IAC can't respond fast enough to catch it before it stalls.

#10 ·
The engine is simply dying from the rpm drop when put in neutral and the normal engine slow down that follows. It may idle freely all day long but do it when the load is dropped off as the things which prevent that get off somewhat. Look at any idle air used there, the TB aircrack, PCV flow, IAC can all do it, all it takes is one beginning to restrict the normal air expected there. A worn TPS can begin to show like that too. Too much air like vacuum leak as mentioned. Even partially weak ignition could do it.

Assuming you know the SPI engine problems. Engine could begin to do that if the compression dropping off too from that. Dying when load is removed is a hallmark of low compression.

Uh, and you're not driving car right, there is no reason at all to put an ATX in neutral when entering a driveway, you yourself have created an artificial load there. Or, driver created problem...............do that to become too familiar with it and one day you won't think and push reverse button to go one notch further and THAT will surely get your attention. Not wise, drivers should stay away from that technique. If also doing it at traffic lights like some do you are putting your very life in danger. The car was built to stay in gear at all times until engine stopped.

#11 ·
Thanks Howard. Yeah I have done my research for the most part on this engine. Didn't know it could be a root of low compression. That's the last thing I would need right now. I guess it could happen with 67,000 on the clock. I have time this week so I will give everything a nice look.

Hopefully it's an easy fix with no $$$ involved.

#12 ·
na I dont do that at traffic stops, thats just not smart to do.

Pulled it out of the garage today to head to school. Backed out, put in neutral, expected it to die...nothing. Just stayed at a normal idle like it was in park.

I shall continue to drive on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.