Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends 04 Focus has recently started shaking at idle and has now started leaking a fluid in the glove compartment. I have not had time to look at it so im not sure what it could be.

I was thinking about an engine mount blowing and puncturing a line somwhere, but im not sure what fluid it was so idk the possibilities.

Thanks for the help.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
the shaking at idle is most likely a motor mount, the passenger side hydraulic mount doesn't last too long, but while its in good shape it works great. you can pick up one fairly cheap at an auto parts store for around $35-50 however an OEM ford one is the best a prices vary depending on the dealer.

as for the leak on the passenger side foot well, it could be water getting under the windshield cowling and leaking to the footwell, or a possible heater core or ac problem.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Fluid in the glove is going to be one of 2 things: 1) water from outside sources or water from condensation. 2) Coolant, but typically the coolant will leak close to the center console where the heater core is.

Shaking at idle is likely to be a bad motor mount, but is not necessarily associated with the leak in the floor even if both happened at the same time. It is most likely an evil coincidence- unless the engine is running hot or missing at the same time.

The motor mount could be either of the 3. Usually it's the front engine mount which might be fluid filled- but we need to know which engine it is. I don't know if SPI engines use hydraulic mounts or not, but the DOHC Zetec does. The solid lower mount and transmission mounts are also suspects depending on mileage. Usually we recommend replacing the front engine mount with a Motorcraft part, and the other 2 can be replaced with Anchor (OEM style aftermarket) mounts. You can get ridiculous prices on the mounts at RockAuto.com except for the front mount. The lower mount is called the Torque-strut mount in their catalog. You can try the Anchor mount for the front mount, however it has been known to fail in short order. You can usually get all 3 mounts from Rock Auto for less than the price of the front mount from a parts store. Like I said though, the Anchor front mount is known to fail as quickly as 2 weeks. I do personally still recommend replacing all 3 mounts in the same repair because stress on the other 2 mounts causes those to fail making you have the same symptoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts