Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good alarm system? I'm looking to spend around $200 installed. I don't have power anything (except the hatch) and I need one that the sensitivity can be adjusted easily on it. I would prefer to have someone recommend one that they actually have.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've got a clifford, it works great. the sensitivity can be adjusted by turn of a little knob on the 'brain'. mine's set high, it doesn't like real bad thunder or if someone kicks the tires [:)]

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Viper alarm system on my 68 Mustang and I love it. I think it was more like $350 though.

On my Focus I just have the stock Ford alarm. I figure it is insured and replaceable, the Mustang gets the garage and all the security gadgets.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the Viper Security System. But it's like $700.00 installed. [:0]

My brother has it, and he has this keychain thing, that tell's him if the car was touched and what part of it was touched, pre-warns (a few feet), warns (touch,resets), and alarms (really loud if you keep touching.) He works in Wal-mart, and no dings or break-ins @ all. (He'd know if it was touched and Wally-World has cameras) Very Cool, but could just be the city he lives in isn't really crime ridden.

Anyways, I'm gonna get that, no doubt.

Oh, and plus I was told never to put stickers on the car with the system's name because theives no the bypass to some alarms, and your just helping them if they know your systems faults. I've always heard good things about it, and I've been able to experiment with my brother's car so.....good luck! I'm not sure if you can get a great alarm sys for $200. Maybe a good one, but not a GREAT one!

Edit - catmomma, $350.00!! Must be the Circuit City Tax and High Dollar warranty he had.....do you have everything? I'm sure for that kinda car. [cool]

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odublar, I know which one youre talking about. It starts at $450 with no relays. It's like a palm pilot keychain with a diagram of your car. Crazy.
I found an Alpine for around $150. Seemed to be pretty good. Any advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I may be new to the focus scene but I'm pretty good with security. I just ordered the Lynx 2000 after doing much research (it's been a couple years). Since my car was bone stock I also got a pair of door lock solenoids and power window kit. In addition to that I got the window roll-up module for the alarm (it rolls up the windows when arming and allows an auxillary output to crack them afterwards if desired). The alarm is also equipped is an FM model (international version - claiming to be up to 2 miles range) that has remote start and A/C actuation. All that stuff for $366 through some frugal shopping.

Best Buy wanted $499 for their Clifford with remote start alarm (the Lynx alone was only $179) - and while the name is a little better known I don't trip about it because the hardest part of an alarm is the initial installation. If 2 years from now there are problems with the alarm you just cut out the brain and install a new one, would take about an hour if you document well when you install the first one. Learn from your first alarm on what features you want on your next version.

If you're bone stock like me - get the door lock solenoids. Keyless entry is a hella expensive upgrade. However, you can put doorlocks on your car for under $30.00 and with your alarm it's now keyless entry.

As far as installation goes, it's very simple to do yourself if you have the patience to run back and forth to the computer. There is a website http://www.the12volt.com that is an awesome forum for anything related to alarms or stereos. Get your cars wiring diagrams there for free, use their tutorials - next thing you know you'll be going to town. Don't expect to get through it in a couple hours if you've never done it, there are some quirky things that could pop up but just log back onto The12volt.com and get the answers. The internet makes it simple. When I get my equipment and get under the dash I will post some information. I'll do a step-by-step deal about what I did with pics and everything that should help others with their Foci.

Do a good pre-wire on the alarm long before you get under the dash. You don't need to tap into contstant 12v 15 times, take all the things that require it and put one heavy 10ga connection going to all of them with a fuse in it. THEN run that to the battery (NOT THE FUSE BOX, that's were a thief looks first!). Do the same thing for the ground - but grab a chassis ground right under the dash, don't take it to the battery.

Shop around - but remember, if it's a $49.00 alarm, it's a problem waiting to happen. If you NEED a name brand - they have the Clifford remote start one (the one that sells for $499 @ Best Buy) for about $260 on eBay. If you buy a cheap alarm and things aren't working you won't know whether it's your installation or the cheap alarm. If you have a good alarm (>$150) then you can trust if something isn't working - it's probably you! hehe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Odubular,

I forgot I had free install from Ford for my Viper alarm on my Stang. I paid $350 for the alarm and power door locks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an Ultastart. It cost me $800 cdn installed .It is the remote starter & alarm combo. It has the key fob that show what happening to your car and works up to 8000 feet. I like it alot. Here is the web site for it.
www.ultrastarters.com [:)]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I know at bestbuy they have a few systems in the 200ish range that offer free install. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the clifford rsx3.5 that has the autostart and security with 2way Lcd remote.... system itself retails for about 500 but has the screen to show if my car has been tampered with. Works from about 1/4 mile away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts