Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!

I just bought an '05 Duratec 2.0 with 117k miles. The car had been sitting for 8 months because the owner died. The oil change sticker says "change on 12-1-2013 or 19,500 miles, whichever comes first"

So the Valvoline conventional/dino oil is about 1 or 1.5 years old and the car has been sitting. Do you think the oil really, really needs changing? Also, would a can of B12 chemtool be a good idea to clean everything out?

My mechanic says it's probably fine, but I want to be sure!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
Never hurts to be too sure on a car. 24 dollars for oil and filter and 20 minutes of your time. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Technically it does. What people don't get is that the oil has a full time job protecting parts from corrosion acids that are produced when cars sit from the moisture that condenses inside the engines. Once the oil is saturated with acids you do not want it in the engine long term. The first thing it eats are the soft bearing surfaces, or the little squiggly passages that you find on disassembling a junkyard engine that has sat.

I always drive the car after a long sit for a little while, say day or two, and then change the oil. It gets the 'starting back up' swept deposits that then occur as car is brought back on line. No exact time, just do the change fairly quick. If you change first then drive you miss all the sediments that have settled out during the sit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last question: Mobil 1 0w20 Advanced Fuel Economy, or Mobil 1 5w20?

Both are synthetic. Leaning towards the 0w20

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Here in Texas I use Mobil-1 5W-30...I don't like the idea of a 0W-20 or 5W-20 given our warm/hot weather.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Without a long oil thread starting...

The 5/20 would probably be better for your location than the 0/20.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
0W weight is wasted here,or even 5W, it does not get cold enough ever to need it. FYI I run straight 30 all year long and have for years. It's not even synthetic. Can't kill the cars.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts