Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,623 Posts
There is no way this is a vacumn leak because if it was a vacumn leak it would do it all the time!!!
I dont agree , the only way a Engine can go to 4000 rpm is air is getting into the engine to sustain 4000 rpm , it can only do this through the IACV or Vac leak

The IACV is nothing more then a electronically controlled Vac leak

You stated that the engine wouldnt start with the IACV unhooked , it should and it should idle at around 700 rpm with it unhooked

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like Paul said, check and make sure the 5v reference is in spec. The maf, tps, fuel rail sensor ect all run off 5v.

Have all the ground wires attached? Are you using the original or newer throttle body?

No car should start up and hit 4K rpm, something is definitely wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have figured it out! I took the intake manifold back off the car and looked and compared it too the old one. The gaskets sit way too far out. I am ordering the part today, Thursday I will let you all know if this has fixed the issue.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have figured it out! I took the intake manifold back off the car and looked and compared it too the old one. The gaskets sit way too far out. I am ordering the part today, Thursday I will let you all know if this has fixed the issue.
If that is the cause your smoke test should have found that.
Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The crazy thing is it didn't. I mean I don't have an real expensive smoke tester it's an $80 smoke tester. Basically an heating element with oil I'n a paint can and a compressor hooked up too it. Even more crazier is the car ran fine until I put an load on the engine. But I am pretty certain this is the issue. Tomorrow when the correct seals arrive and I put it all back together I will let you all know!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Maybe due too the seals sticking too far out it would seal correctly when the engine was cold and as it warmed up it stopped sealing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If anyone ever replaces the intake manifold seals on an zetec without the runner controller so basically if you don't have an SVT you need the thin square intake manifold seals without any tabs. We are talking super thin like paperclip thin. My new ones were basically rubber bands

·
FF Affiliate
30,623 Posts
Another reason I use a Cigar , its better then most smoke machines especially the older ones and the cheap ones

A HUGH mistake people using the smoke method make is they dont look for the leaking smoke in the dark with a light , I have found this to show far more leaks and you see the smoke easier

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
These are the seals I bought too replace the Fel-Pro seals. Just goes too show Fel-Pro quality aint exactly the best. I bought a rear main seal from Fel-Pro and it was not even close too the right one for my engine.
The correct seal is made by a company called APEX and the part number is: AMS4661
The incorrect seal I bought was a Fel-Pro and the part number for that is: MS96763

As you can see if you look up the pictures of each seal. The apex is much thinner and can slide into the slots on the intake manifold while the Fel-Pro does technically fit it does not go all the way into the slots on the intake manifold so it sticks too far out which was my issue.

If you have an 2.0 zetec without a runner controller so basically a ZX3-ZX5 or an ZXS you are going too need an APEX AMS4661

If you have an 2.0 zetec with a runner controller so if you have an SVT you are going too need an APEX AMS11250 as you have the circle seals

if you have an 2.0 non-zetec so a 2.0 SOHC so the base model engine for the focus you are going too need an APEX AMS4660 as you have almost the same seal set as the regular zetec but you have little bumps all across the square seal.

Now I don't know if this is certain as these 1st generations focuses some of them are more then 16years old who knows the hackery that has taken place on them. Don't do what I did and guess the correct part by looking at a parts catalog or on the fourms. If you can take the parts off and inspect too make sure you are ordering the correct part for the car that would be your best bet. The best I can say is don't buy from Fel-Pro for at least the 2.0 focuses due too there is so much changes across the board that most companys get the parts wrong. I have bought three different seals all that says they are for a 2.0 zetec and even match my vin number but only one of them fits and that was from APEX.

I just wrote this little post up too help anyone in the future if they are looking for the correct intake manifold seals.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
These are the seals I bought too replace the Fel-Pro seals. Just goes too show Fel-Pro quality aint exactly the best. I bought a rear main seal from Fel-Pro and it was not even close too the right one for my engine.
The correct seal is made by a company called APEX and the part number is: AMS4661
The incorrect seal I bought was a Fel-Pro and the part number for that is: MS96763

As you can see if you look up the pictures of each seal. The apex is much thinner and can slide into the slots on the intake manifold while the Fel-Pro does technically fit it does not go all the way into the slots on the intake manifold so it sticks too far out which was my issue.

If you have an 2.0 zetec without a runner controller so basically a ZX3-ZX5 or an ZXS you are going too need an APEX AMS4661

If you have an 2.0 zetec with a runner controller so if you have an SVT you are going too need an APEX AMS11250 as you have the circle seals

if you have an 2.0 non-zetec so a 2.0 SOHC so the base model engine for the focus you are going too need an APEX AMS4660 as you have almost the same seal set as the regular zetec but you have little bumps all across the square seal.

Now I don't know if this is certain as these 1st generations focuses some of them are more then 16years old who knows the hackery that has taken place on them. Don't do what I did and guess the correct part by looking at a parts catalog or on the fourms. If you can take the parts off and inspect too make sure you are ordering the correct part for the car that would be your best bet. The best I can say is don't buy from Fel-Pro for at least the 2.0 focuses due too there is so much changes across the board that most companys get the parts wrong. I have bought three different seals all that says they are for a 2.0 zetec and even match my vin number but only one of them fits and that was from APEX.

I just wrote this little post up too help anyone in the future if they are looking for the correct intake manifold seals.
Your first paragraph is very confusing as you are first talking about intake manifold gaskets, then rear seals, then pns for intake manifold gaskets again.

Ford, Felpro, Apex and several others all list TWO intake manifold seal types for the Zetec:
'Square Port w/o tab:
Ford YS4Z9461BA
Felpro MS96763
Apex AMS4661

'Round Port w/ tab:
Ford F8RZ9461AA
Felpro MS96765
Apex AMS4660

The only way to know what style is correct is to look at the old seals in your intake manifold - clearly they are different. Before your bash Felpro to the world are you certain your received the gaskets you ordered?

And what was the pn of the Felpro rear seal you bought that did not fit?

I dont work for Felpro but Ive been using Felpro gaskets for 40 years on many, many engines without issues.

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just going on my history of using Fel-Pro gaskets. Maybe I just always get bad luck. Anyways the car is fixed this solved the issue. Yes I am certain I was sent the correct part. The part did not even look like it was formed right there was random pieces sticking off of the seals all around it. If I still had them I would send a picture of what I am talking about but I threw them out. For at least I can say the Apex seal with part number AMS4661 solved my issue. For all I know of just walking around a junkyard and looking at different zetecs and a couple 2.0 SOHC the SOHC engines use the ones with the tabs and the zetec uses the square without tabs and the SVT uses the circle seals. As I said this is from my personal experience and is why you should look at the old part too verify that this is indeed the correct part.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts