Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , just after a bit of advice if any one can help
I have a 2007 diesel focus , high mileage its a taxi , just been through. It's taxi test & passed without any marks against it. However it's just started running loud on acceleleration & if you take you're foot off and cruise its still loud. Stops if you drop gears. Sounds a bit like a cross between over revving-slipping belt -blowing exhaust
Thought it maybe slipping clutch but there's no loss of power or catching up with revs & I figure any exhaust probs would of shown up on test
Could do without being off the road again so any advice would be greatly appreciated
I should add fault is intermittent
Cheers in advance

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sticky Wastegate Actuator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think so no probs with boost or egm r so iv looked over the exhaust & it seems ok plus no extra noise if you rev at a standstill, devolopedinto a more constant low rumble type noise thatyou can hear driving in a straight line, gets worse if ypu bear right & stops if you bear left . no noise with full lock on. ive just moved all the wheels from the left to the right side & vice versa but the noise still stops on a left turn and gets worse on a right

BAFFLED

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Motor mounts come to mind, but if it doesn't make any extra noise when you're parked and revving, then that seems unlikely. And you'd notice vibrations before noise, in my experience.

Guessing since you swapped tires that you think it might be noise from the wheels rather than the engine...

Wheel noise could be bearings, CV axle...you've eliminated tires as a potential by swapping them. Put the front on stands and check for play in the wheels, spin them backwards to listen for bearing noise. Get a friend to start it up and put it in gear and turn the wheels while you listen for axle noise. While you're under there, check that the CV boots are intact and fastened securely. If there's a tear or the boot has come off entirely, then you've likely found the cause--worn axle from lack of lubrication.

Or your local garage should be able to do this in under an hour, if you're not sure of what to look/listen for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers, got it jacked up again , span them & noise was coming from front left,
Ran it in garage today n bearings were rusting up

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Good...relatively cheap fix, and you won't have to lose your mind wondering where the noise is coming from anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts