Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made a post not long ago about FPR or IACV and I think the general consensus was the iacv is fine. However my car is now having issues starting up again and my mpgs are suffering. The spark plugs are fouled for sure, pics of old and new below.

I also notice that my battery terminal is corroded, I'll be doing the baking soda and water thing today too.

Is it worth just replacing the FPR just to see if it helps? Is it possible to test the fuel pressure dampener(saucer thing)? The pcv isn't very squishy (firm but not like a rock) so I'm assuming its fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should have 2 pics of old and 1 pic of new

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
That does look a bit rich. Have you ever replaced your O2 sensor?

Do you have access to an OBD scan tool? If you do you could look at the MAF and O2 readings along with the fuel trims to possibly help diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These were original reading from when the problem first arrived.
fs1-cl
fs2-na
Calf load%-41.2
ect(f)-158
Stft b1(%)-1.6
Ltft b1(%)-4.7
Rpm-1762
veh speed(mph)-30

Give me a sec to get current

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Why are they NGK?

And I'm sorry but your posting are so damn hard to follow. One day it's this and the next its the opposite and the day after it's something completely different. It's the ADD of auto repair with you. Just come clean and say you don't know but describe the symptoms best you can. You thinking it's something leads people and is giving you bad info/advice.

First off, throw those plugs away. Put Autolite or Motorcraft in it. There is not a single plug made that works better and more reliable than them for your car.

Second, get codes and post them. I've seen you mention "rich" and "lean" but have not seen a code to reflect this. Only a "I smell fuel". Which is not a good indicator. Besides which the wrong plugs have an impact.

Third, in your other thread (of many) there was mention of a "gross leak", P0455. I don't see that anyone has spent time on investigating this.
Any leak is bad. Find it and fix it.

The reason the car is throwing a rich code is because of the P0455. There is a massive vacuum leak that the car is trying to compensate for and this is causing the STFT's to reach the limit and then a code for rich is thrown. Being it's an EVAP code it's a good bet that something near the fuel tank is the source. Also it's away from your ear and would go unnoticed if you're concentrating near the engine.
This 'mechanic' you had gone to, he's an idiot. Don't go back to him. Find someone better. You absolutely have an EVAP leak and it shouldn't be that difficult to find with a smoke test.

So, get the correct plugs in there and get that EVAP leak fixed. That should fix most all the problems with your car.

Follow this link --> http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm00C.pdf
Go to page 11 and start reading.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got ngk because they were what AutoZone had?

Ok those are the only codes I had? I remember putting the description down at the very beginning and the actual codes at the end. Sorry If I dismissed the evap one since I've had it forever? Also I did have the code saying too rich at the beginning as well. I apologize for not having the numbers an the beginning

I did some Goodling and from what i found all it said was for/iacv/unmetered air leak(which I tested intake w/ starting fluid technique) from my symptoms, dismissing the evap of course. Sorry I got bad info and misled people with it. So you're right, I don't know, that's why I'm on here.

I'll investigate the leak, any specifics I should google for the smoke test? Or info you can shed light on? After I figure out how to test the gas tank area where else should I look?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yes. But you don't have a smoke machine. That is something a good ship would have though.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Are you talking to the ghost of Christmas past? 4 year old post there; people have long ago ceased to care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts