Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was in Savannah last week and was caught out in a torrential rain. The streets were flooded 6-9 inches in places. I ended up driving through a few of these pools of water.

A couple of days later we drove home. About 200 miles into the trip home we stopped for lunch. After lunch we drove for 4-5 minutes in stop-and-go traffic then hit the interstate, where my wife noticed the car was nearly at the red and the AC. We were running the AC (which was barely working for the last 15-30 seconds - that should have warned me), it was humid, but only about 75 degrees at the time. I immediately turned the AC off, the heater on high, and pulled over. I let the car idle for about 30 seconds and the temp appeared to be rising slightly still, getting closer to the red. I then turned the car off and left the heater on. I popped the hood and slowly opened the coolant reservoir. The open cap steamed and even bubbled over a bit.

After about 15 minutes the temp was back to normal (the needle slight left vertical) so we started out again with the AC off. Things ran fine for several hours. We then turned the AC on and the temperature was normal and the AC was cool.

There is no coolant leak, the oil isn't milky, the car doesn't smoke. Things appear to be back to normal. The car has never had any issues with the HVAC or cooling system, and I'm guessing that driving through the puddles may have gotten water somewhere it shouldn't be. I just don't know.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a water issue that I'll likely never see again, or should I check something?

2004 Focus SE Wagon (2.0 Zetec), manual transmission

Thanks in advance,

Mark

TL/DR : Car overheated on the highway. I think it may be the result of driving through high water. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's possible that the electrical fault causing the overheating was temporary, low speed cooling fan not working is a fairly common problem. High speed fan doesn't turn on until gauge shows at or near overheat (gauge is more of an idiot light, not actual temps).

Keep an eye on it until you can be sure it's now operating normally.

·
Registered
739 Posts
To close the loop on this, the problem was a blown fuse for the radiator fan. $3 and I was on my way. :)
Nice! Glad you got it figured out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts