Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it doesn't happen all the time but has been know to not start for a day or two when it starts doing this. I will put the key in and try to start the car and it does nothing at all. There are dashes on the odometer. Sometimes if I sit and wait for 15 - 20 minutes it will start. Most of the time I have the key in and in the on position. I will hear something loosen or release on the rear passenger side and then the numbers appear on the odometer and the car will start. Not sure what it is that is causing this. I have completely replaced the computer and got my keys reprogrammed. Any suggestions or clues to as what it can't be? I'm so worried that the car my die on me while I'm driving it.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Your symptoms might be caused by defective electrical connections at the battery or at the battery ground point on the chassis. Please find, disconnect and clean all wire terminal lugs on the drivers-side wheel well-> inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I second the ground issue. Most of us with dashes on the odometer found it was caused when the radio interference capacitor shorted to ground and blew 20 amp fuse #9. That opens the power circuits to a lot of components. If you have a bad ground and you're not getting enough power, I could see that causing a starting issue. But I would also think you'd get problems when driving.

Toby

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know you are referring to radio frequency Toby but that reminds me that the radio does short out as well a lot of the times. So how do I solve this ground wiring issue??

·
Registered
521 Posts
You'll have to locate all the grounds and clean them. Make sure to disconnect them fully for cleaning because the surface rust is not causing the issue. It's the rust under the terminal and around the screw that's insulating your ground.

I just noticed you have the wagon, so check the wiring loom that passes from the body into the hatch. Those are famous for breaking and we are all continually surprised by the circuits that feed into the rear hatch for one reason or another. Peel back the rubber and you might find broken wires that are shorting together and causing your gremlins.

The driver's side wheel well is the place to start for grounds. Make sure the wiring is in good condition throughout. Look around and look for cracked or broken insulation.

Toby

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2

Battery grounds to the body at the fender section right near it, and the wiring harness ground connects there as well. Bad harness connection to body & battery ground is often mentioned as causing that "dashes" symptom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts