Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my Ti key (push button start so fob only) through the wash this morning. It went though an entire wash and I only realized when I put the load into the dryer and heard it clunking around. It wasn't in the dryer long enough to get warm.

Any chance it remains functional? I'm letting it dry out for 2 days. I did this with my cell phone after it went in a lake and it worked.

If not, will I be able to start the car with it by holding it near the wheel? Or will I need to buy another? I have the 2nd key they gave me with the car, but one is not enough.

From what I've read, a replacement will be about $250. Any way to save on that cost?

Thanks for any thoughts you can give :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,328 Posts
My mom's phone fell into our pool. We put it in a bag of rice to dry it out. It wouldn't turn on until we replaced the battery, though. Hopefully it's an easy fix!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Mine went through the wash and worked fine. There is nothing inside that is really affected by water, the main problem would be soap film coating the contacts. If it doen't work then just open it and clean the circuit board with pure water and a soft brush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
If you have corroded parts, remove the battery, spray everything including circuit board with wd-40, dry with compressed air, even from a can if you do not have a compressor, let dry and it should work like new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
You probably didn't damage anything, but as mentioned the circuit board may have some corrosion on it. The best way to clean it is to use q-tips and alcohol. Put a new battery too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I did this with a Viper remote before. I took it apart and let it dry out. If possible, take apart the FOB and clean it out with some alcohol wipes so nothing inside corrodes. The issue with liquid is that it might dry and work fine for a few weeks or months, and slowly get worse.
 

·
Flipping Rockstar
Joined
·
16,788 Posts
Oh My, that is rich! Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh!

But seriously, as long as it is dry(and preferably clean, pardon the pun) it should work again without issue.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top