Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Having a problem with my Focus, It's a 1.4 51 plate CL model, done about 90,000 miles.

The engine seems to jerk under acceleration, this can happen in any gear and at generally any speed. For some time the engine check light was on although now it has dissappeared, in severe cases the engine light would flash and this was promptly followed by the same jerking although much worse, usually this went away when i dropped the revs and tried keep my speed constant although the problem remains. It ver much feels like the enigne is labouring for example when it is in too low a gear.

I heard a few things about a potential fuel pump problem and a few days later my pump completley died and the car wouldnt start, so I replaced that yet the problem persists, in fact worse than before.

I'm a bit of a novice but have a lot of time on my hands and I'm willing to try any suggestions you guys have, if anybody offers any advice ill be only too glad to try it out and get back to you with the results.

Thanks a lot!

Daniel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
change your fuelt filter first. then check for vacuum leaks, especially the pcv hose. if there are no vacuum leaks, then check your spark plugs, HT leads and coil pack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys.

Gonna get round to doing the fuel filter shortly. Meanwhile I changed the spark plugs and this did drastically improve the problem although the engine management light is still on and sometimes, rarely but still sometimes the problem occurs.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If if it's been "awhile" since the fuel filter has been replaced do the fuel filter as suggested but as you apparently haven't replaced the spark plug leads yet, and particularly if they are the originals, that could be money well spent. Also ensure that the coil/plug lead connectors are clean, dry and free of corrosion. As the new spark plugs alone seem to have made an improvement, it seems like your issue is ignition related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts