Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this started happening when it got cold outside (< 50F). After sitting for the whole night in the morning the car starts all right, I wait for maybe 2 or 3 minutes and then start driving. It runs in the first gear all right and then when I shift into second it starts jerking. If I disengage the clutch and stop (which I always do when I'm leaving my parking lot) and then start driving again everything is all right. That only happens when the car is cold and it's cold outside (<50F). Any insight into what's wrong?

2000 Focus ZTS with 115,000 miles. No CEL.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
try letting it sit a bit longer and see what happens. Mine has done that in the past, esp if its cold and i need to get in and go immediately. Lemme know what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try letting it sit a bit longer and see what happens. Mine has done that in the past, esp if its cold and i need to get in and go immediately. Lemme know what happens.
Right, so after letting the car sit for more than 24 hours in a cold parking lot (~36F) I started it all right and let it idle for exactly 4 minutes before starting to drive. Although the engine still was kind of sluggish this time it didn't jerk. So I guess that fixed it. Still I'm wondering what could cause the car to jerk when it's cold. If it were cylinders misfiring I'm sure the CEL would come on. So is it something throttle related?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had the same issue and I was speaking to my dad and he mention that the jerking is

normal specially if you did not warm the car enough.

Not sure if that is true or not but I still wanted to share the thought with you guys. I

usually before atking off I let my car warm for a good 5 minutes.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
I had that problem with my '04 ranger but i always figured it was due to the oil being a little bit thicker at the cooler temperature, but I'm kind of clueless when it comes to what it really is.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Could be the trottle spring, since its really cold its not espanding like its suppose to. But i just figured the car wasnt warm enough and the engine was just sluggish or what not. I have had the same problem tho during the winter so i usually let mine sit for 5-8 mins before getting in her and driving. Never had a problem again.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I laugh at what u call cold!!! anything above freezing is short sleeve weather!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I laugh at what u call cold!!! anything above freezing is short sleeve weather!!!
I'll tell you this: I grew up in Lithuania, which is much colder and gloomier in winter than PA. My dad has an Audi back there and he never ever warms it before driving it. So once when it was about -15C out there he started the engine and as he was pulling out of the parking lot he noted that for some reason the engine seems a bit underpowered. So if Ford Focus dares to jerk at temperatures above freezing all it means is that it is cold for the Ford and I can only guess what would happen at temperature way below freezing.

Anyway thanks for all of your feedback guys. [drinking]

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Don't laugh, but change the fuel filter and see if it fixxes it, its only 8-10 bucks anyway.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
My car has always run wierd when it's cold, esp at first startup in the morning till it's at operating temperature. You could always try a few small things to help to. As stated above, fuel filter can't hurt, clean or get a new air filter, new plugs and clean your MAF. All that would cost you under $50 and can only help your car plus could also solve your issue.

·
Bexar County
3,360 Posts
My car has be sluggish to start the last few times. I hope it doesn't die on me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts