Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WHITE ON BLACK :)
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is auto and when ever i start to slow down the rpms drop all the way and it stalls. My cars is from florida and im in ohio and its really cold could that be it? Also a few weeks ago my hood flew up and there was a real light rain?

any suggestions?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Patience young grasshopper, it IS Christmas, not that many of us are on like normal..

First thing, has the fuel filter been done in the last 30k? If not, do that first. The new alcohol fuel has been hell on filters.

Next, do a reset on the computer, just unplug the battery for 15 minutes; hook it back up , start it and let it idle for 5 minutes. See if that fixes it.

Not much under the hood that water will hurt. However could the hood have pulled something loose?. Also, check the primary wires going to the coiul for cracks or breaks.

Let us know if you find anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
you know... mines a manual and mines been doing the same thing now that its cold, i started a thread in the technical chat. ive had some wet weather (i think) problems too but right now it wont stay started unless i give it time to warm up meaning i have to sit in the car and keep it going for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^ That sounds like a sticking IAC or a bad TPS. Make sure to do the fuel filter first; I can't stress enough how messed up they have been with the new fuel.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There's an easy way to test the IAC valve (this valve is computer-controlled and controls the idle speed)........warm up the car enough so it will continue to idle in park or neutral with everything turned off.

Watch the tach or listen to the engine as you turn on the lights, hit the brakes, turn the rear defrost on, etc. This puts an added load on the engine, and the IAC valve should speed up the engine or maintain the same engine speed.

If the RPMs drop when you increase the electrical load, chances are your IAC valve is not working properly.......since it's computer controlled there could be other issues. But the valve itself is usually to blame....

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
heheh you mean something like this

(this vid was taken for another post about how bad the antifartbox's on the older intakes are... theres a problem with my primary fan on it turning on or off by reving it as you can see)
but the vid should give you an idea when a load is put on the engine you can hear my car compensate the rpms

P.S. That Engine was stone cold when I took that vid and yes I know it sounds like a deisel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts