Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive my car back and forth to school everyday sometimes more than once (its only like 5 miles away). So I drove my car to school three times today and on the final way home the car starts running like crap. It feels like the car is lugging when I try to hold a constant spped. Imagine gassing the car in first gear and then completly letting off the throttle and not touching anything. Youn know how the car feels when you do that, that is what this feels like only not as hard. I have a 2001 ZX3 2.0L with a manx. I really only experience this around 40 mph and in fourth gear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Fuel pump could be on it's way out. Does your model/year focus have a recall for the Fuel Pump? I think 2000 year models can have their fuel pump replaced for free at the dealership since it's defective? I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It could also be the fuel filter. When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? If it has been more than 30,000 miles then you're due.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just changed the fuel filter maybe 800 miles ago. It did however give me a lot of problems on the reinstall. However the car has ran fine and I have had no leaks since. Should I have a shop look at the fuel filter to make sure it is right? Or should I contact ford about the fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
^If that is the case, then your DPFE sensor is probably going bad. I just did that hack myself a few days ago. I like how it bascially disables the EGR without throwing a CEL.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Tbones00SE said:
^If that is the case, then your DPFE sensor is probably going bad. I just did that hack myself a few days ago. I like how it bascially disables the EGR without throwing a CEL.
Ya i liek that too :) i had it the other way but the light was making me mad. im just wondering if fixing the sensor is worth the $50 ford wants here. If it will help gas milage ill do it for sure!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you have a CEL then it probably is the DPFE sensor. I think now that you have the CEL you need to replace the sensor because the hack won't take that away. You can, however, still do the hack to fix your problem until you replace it, but you still need to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
776 Posts
will disabling this add any performance, or just cure the stumble. I'm up for anything that adds performance.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Is the CEL solid or flashing? And does the car sound louder than usual? You might have a misfiring cylinder or two (yes, it will run on two cylinders, albeit it feels like you're towing an anchor behind you.) The front end will shake heavily, and it'll sound like a pissed off lawnmower. I've run into this a few times, usually results from shot plug wires or a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no the cel is solid. It just came on this afternoon. The car had only stumbled for like 10 minutes total. Can I do the #2 hack or will it not work like it should now that the cel has come on? I did #1 and the stumbling stopped. Will I loose gas mileage without the sensor?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with mine, replace coil, wires and plugs,cleaned MAF sensor and it is running like new. Don't forget to disconnect battery to allow cpu to clear CEL and reset to factory default mode.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You can do number 2, but I don't think it will remove the CEL because the sensor is already dead. I believe the only way to remove the CEL would be to replace the sensor and reset the ecu. I may be wrong, but there should be an extended warrenty on the DPFE sensor like it was for the fuel pumps. The dealer may replace it for free, just make sure you put everything back the way it was before you take it in so they don't try to say that it was your fault.

As far as gas mileage, I haven't noticed a decline or increase in my gas mileage. It's tough for me to say though, cause I drive very short trips to work so my car never really gets fully warmed up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dealer probally wont do shit for you. You can do #2 and reset the ecu and it "may" keep the light away or it may not now that the sensor has died. I woudl try it anyway. At least you found the problem asap and can still drive the car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts