Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ford Focus with 98,000 miles on it. Every now and then the card will turn over but not start. The first few times this happened it would start 5 minutes later, but the last time that was not the case. I was worried I flooded the engine trying so I went ahead and pulled out the spark plugs to smell inside the cylinder (It didn't smell like I flooded it) and changed the spark plugs (since it was time anyways). After changing the plugs the car started after cranking for a couple seconds, but I find it hard to believe I fixed the real problem. Since then the car starts normally. The fuel filter was replaced less than a year ago. Does not seem to be related to outside temperature.

I'll get the battery tested, but it was replaced about 1.5 years ago. If I can't figure it out after that I'll see about getting a fuel pressure gauge to check that. With the problem being intermitten I am just not sure how to proceed. Even if I check some things it might look fine if the problem isn't acting up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If it's cranking but not starting then I don't think it would be a battery. It wouldn't just start working again if it was the battery. Sounds more like a fuel or spark issue to me. Is the check engine light on?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fuel pressure isn't easy to check with a gauge (no port, special fittings on lines).

Scan tool can tell what the sensor is reporting, only need to plug into the OBD port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel pressure isn't easy to check with a gauge (no port, special fittings on lines).

Scan tool can tell what the sensor is reporting, only need to plug into the OBD port.
I am looking at buying a scan tool, I'll definitely go this route. Will the sensor output while cranking?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Sensor? Yes, the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) data is available once the key is advanced to On -and- while the engine is Off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts