Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car started, reversed but died when put into drive. No prior sign of mechanical problem.
Won't start - no clicks, lights good, panel good, etc. Check engine light says gas cap problem but no change when cap removed/reinstalled. OBD2 won't connect to this car (but will connect to /read our old '04 Focus) so I couldn't cancel code/limp home.

Only other clue is an odd warning light about passenger air bag being off that lit up from time to time - we ignore it.

Fuses under hood seemed ok but didn't check yet under dash. Many comments seem to point to faulty grounds/ connections but my main worry is about the ECM / brain thing - how to determine if this has failed. Otherwise why not readable? And if it is the problem, why would it be failing. And why so scary to not be able to limp home?

2007 Automatic, wagon. Bought privately 6 weeks ago from original owner. 141k.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
With key in ON position; do you see miles driven in the odometer -or- do you see -------- dashes?

"Many comments seem to point to faulty grounds/ connections"

Yes, that is a common problem. Have you cleaned them?-> At Battery and then follow the battery black cable; it goes down to the drivers side wheel well and connects onto the frame. That connection must be clean.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
... but my main worry is about the ECM / brain thing - how to determine if this has failed.
The ECM is called a PCM here. Don't worry, the PCM is almost bullet proof, and almost never fail. You will find your problem soon. Don't panic. You and others here will help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sending good vibes on the PCM. The car had been towed to my trusty mechanic who found a blown fuse! Feel dumb so I'll have to get more familiar with the car and have a few spares on hand for the common things. Suggestions? BTW, the odometer was reading - - - - - - - - so i guess that and the OBD thing is what happens. Thanks again and hope y'all makes yer problems fly away!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Yes, they often go together-> No OBD communication and the Dashes. This often equals no power/bad power to the PCM. Fuse -or- PCM Power Hold Diode (inside the BJB fuse box) -or- nasty dirty corroded battery cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts