Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Ztec -5 sp 155,xxx miles

After about 10 minutes running it starts occasionally dying, the motor cuts out, the tach and the speedo go to zero but the radio and other gauges stay on.
It usually is only for a second or two but sometimes longer, when I am rolling it starts back up on it's own, when it does it for longer while stopped I get nothing when I turn the key either...i then jump out and unhook and rehook the battery and it will start, not sure if that is doing it or just the time going by. I have reset the ECU just in case but did not help. Have no check engine light on either.

Did a forum search but did not find my specific issue.

Bad ECU?
Bad coli pack or something?

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is it very important ? Clean California 2002 FOCUS zetec 2.0
Noticed most cars have them missing.
There was one at yard but little mounting ears above radiator were broken off. Could still mount it with a mod.
The hose that goes to air box.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
945 Posts
2002 Ztec -5 sp 155,xxx miles

After about 10 minutes running it starts occasionally dying, the motor cuts out, the tach and the speedo go to zero but the radio and other gauges stay on.
It usually is only for a second or two but sometimes longer, when I am rolling it starts back up on it's own, when it does it for longer while stopped I get nothing when I turn the key either...i then jump out and unhook and rehook the battery and it will start, not sure if that is doing it or just the time going by. I have reset the ECU just in case but did not help. Have no check engine light on either.

Did a forum search but did not find my specific issue.

Bad ECU?
Bad coli pack or something?

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!
antonyl,
When you say 'I get nothing when I turn the key either' can you elaborate? Does it crank in START? At that point does anything work when you turn the key to ON - interior lights, radio, heater fan, turn signals, etc?

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I am in Australia and I have a Mk1 Focus ST170. I had the same problem. I would start the car, drive about 3km (10 minutes) and it would cut out, if I was still rolling, I could let out the clutch and it would often restart but a few km later, would die again. if I was at traffic lights when it did it, I would need to get out and push to the side then wait while the engine bay cooled down. After 4 or 5 times I started carrying test equipment with me and one day when it did it, I pulled to the side and basically pulled my entire car apart to find the problem was the fuel pump relay under the hood. I swapped the relay with the highbeam one and after 2,00km didn't have the problem, so I purchased a 30a Solid State Relay, now 10k later, no problems at all.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys!
It's wierd, I've needed my idle control valve replaced since I had a defective one off Ebay put in last summer, finally had a local mechanic do it from the top, pull off the intake ect to get to it, put on new intake gaskets and ck for vacuum leaks and since he put it back together the problem has gone away completely...maybe some kind of ground issue that cleared up with the work he did?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it started doing it again today..
To answer earlier question when it died all the way nothing happened when I turned the key, starter did not engage.
If I need to replace ECU what years are compatible with a 2002 Ztec and I have have a 5sp, so I suppose i would need a ECU out of a 5sp also?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would investigate other avenues before replacing the computer. What those are I cannot suggest.

When I ordered mine (2003 ZX3 automatic) there was some confusion regarding the VIN showing the car as a manual trans. They sorted it out and their product works. Comes with a lifetime warranty as well, as long as you return the core. While relatively inexpensive, you will have to have the keys programmed. That cost me 180 bucks...

Again, I would look for other causes first such as suggested by the poster from Australia. The computers rarely fail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Couldn't post the link I wanted...

If you must replace the computer, try all computer resources. I can't post links due to lack of posts.

I have no affiliation with them, but I did order a computer from them. Call them on the phone and they will ask for the VIN and any other pertinent information. Expect a 3-4 day turnaround time, and time for shipping.

·
Jetsetter
6,648 Posts
I doubt it's the ecu. Although and electrical problem is likely.

Have you checked the hatch wiring? it was a common problem that the wiring from the body going into the hatch has broken causing all kinds of weird problems for people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you must replace the computer, try all computer resources. I can't post links due to lack of posts.

I have no affiliation with them, but I did order a computer from them. Call them on the phone and they will ask for the VIN and any other pertinent information. Expect a 3-4 day turnaround time, and time for shipping.

Thanks, may try them if mine is one of the cheaper ones since they flash it for you also.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks, may try them if mine is one of the cheaper ones since they flash it for you also.
Fuel pump relay has nothing to do with 'no crank' issues.

You never answered the second part of my question from 5 months ago:
antonyl,
When you say 'I get nothing when I turn the key either' can you elaborate? Does it crank in START? At that point does anything work when you turn the key to ON - headlights, interior lights, radio, heater fan, turn signals, etc?
Paul
When the car starts/runs can you get it to die just idling in neutral for a period of time? Have you monitored battery voltage before it dies?

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel pump relay has nothing to do with 'no crank' issues.

You never answered the second part of my question from 5 months ago:

When the car starts/runs can you get it to die just idling in neutral for a period of time? Have you monitored battery voltage before it dies?

Paul
Yeah it has died at a light just idling..haven't tried starting and just idling for awhile yet....battery voltage stays up 13+, tach and speedo die, other gauges + radio stay on, starter sometimes won't go at all after it dies, sometimes sort of engages but not enough to start car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yeah it has died at a light just idling..haven't tried starting and just idling for awhile yet....battery voltage stays up 13+, tach and speedo die, other gauges + radio stay on, starter sometimes won't go at all after it dies, sometimes sort of engages but not enough to start car.
Headlights work or no after it dies?

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Have you checked the hatch wiring? it was a common problem that the wiring from the body going into the hatch has broken causing all kinds of weird problems for people.
By the hatch, you mean the rear tailgate/truck? The wiring to the tag light and the remote release?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

By the hatch, you mean the rear tailgate/trunk lid? The wiring to the tag light and the remote release?

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
Yes. Look at right where the harness goes into the lid, the first 6 inches, where the electrical has to flex the most. Watch how the harness flexes at almost closing the lid and you can see where most likely the place is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts