1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
793 Posts
not bad some good advice in there, id never thought about trying to heat a key when your doors get frozen, good idea....

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
yah some of those are good I never noticed some of the things I do (never let my car warm up) are actually good ;) I heard that not letting u'r car warm up is bad...interesting...also are you sure about the tire pressure thing? I though I read somewhere too much inflation can cause the tires to explode if there is too much pressure in them...leaving them at the specified dealers psi is good cause the tire will inflate/deflate on its own considering how hot/cold the tires get...if the tires get too hot the air will inflate the tire and if the pressure is already high (bomb) exploding tires and u'r car will slide to a stop screwing it over...if it gets very cold out (winter) its good to check u'r pressure right away since the pressure will deflate cause of the cold temp...if its just a one day thing it won't matter too too much but if u inflate it check the next day to make sure the pressure hasn't risen too much cause the heat causes it to inflate...I saw a car's tire explode once cause of that :) couldn't hear for a couple days...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
avengerc4: That's why the sidewall of the tire has a Maximum Cold Pressure listed in PSI on it.. What that means is you can safely inflate the tire to that PSI [cold], and when the PSI rises in the tire from heat, the tire will still be within safe operating parameters. But yes, too much pressure can make a tire explode, so don't ever put more than the max. on the sidewall says. The dealers put the tires at what the car manufacturer says, which is fine, but here's where it can suck:

The max. cold pressure of my Dunlop SP Sport A2s and Goodyear Eagle HPs was 44PSI. Honda recommends 28f/26r PSI for my Prelude -- great for ride, HORRIBLE for handling. I kept them at about 40PSI.

Thankfully, Ford has decided that 34f/34r PSI is good for the ZX3s, so that's where mine are at.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Avoid dirt roads when possible. Fuel mileage is decreased by 1/3 on dirt roads due to increased rolling resistance.

I never knew this. But I always let my car warm up before go anywhere.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
teddyrob said:
i avoid dirt roads simply cause they dont lead to no place [:p]

·
Registered
18 Posts
exhaust tips

Does anyone know how to "detail" (read get rid of the black exhaust buildup and get the chrome or ss tip on an SVT to shine again)? I tried using some oven cleaner with moderate success but have a rough time getting the top of the tip clean due to the very close proximity of that black plastic honeycomb trim just below the rear bumper. Sure would like to get that tip shiny again...

Thanks,
BumbleBee

·
Registered
317 Posts
You could use chrome polish and try it if it's chrome. If it's stainless steel, then I wouldn't have the slightest clue. You might could even try the chrome polish even if it is stainless steel. Just try a lil dab on one spot to see what it does first.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Changing the air filter every other oil change seems kind of excessive to me, even the OEM filter will be fine for more than 10,000 miles. And I'm not sure but I don't think you are supposed to put a belt dressing on Ford drivebelts.

The storing of the car in a cool place in the winter is kinda funny too...

But yeah, there's alot of good stuff in there...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ILLINI zx3 said:
Changing the air filter every other oil change seems kind of excessive to me
Yeah, this book was written before PZEV lifetime air filters [;)]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts