Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when im driving, every now and then when i let off the gas and put the car into neutral to coast for a little bit or to end up stopping, my RPM's will go from like 3000-4000 down to the 900RPM where it idles really quickly, but then it continues to go down.
sometimes, it will will fly down all the way and the car will turn off(bad because the car locks up until i turn it back on)
other times, it will fly all the way down, the car will go silent for a second, and then RPM's will go back up to the 900 idle spot. the battery light will flicker when it gets below 1000 if its going to go alll the way down.

sometimes it will go down to like 400RPM's and bounce back up without having the battery light come on.
i had my car checked out by a mechanic and he couldn't find anything wrong, my alternator, battery, etc is all fine.
i know the battery light means something with electrical, but i had it checked out by a mechanic and he said there wasn't anything wrong.

i want to get rid of this problem but i don't know what to do.

help please!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had similar problem with my zx3 two years ago. Even tho I was told the alternator is good, all problems were solved after I replaced it with a new one along with a new battery.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your car was doing the same thing when you would put it into neutral to brake or coast?
did you ever figure out why it was doing that? or did you just feel like changing the alternator and it worked?
this problem is annoying me and i want to get this fixed.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes. I got exactly the same symptoms. I was also told that the alternator was good, but the blinking battery light had to mean something right? Since alternator was only $80 from AutoZone with lifetime warranty I said fk it and I replaced it along with a new battery and everything was fine since then.

On the side note. Symptoms were even worse with the AC on.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Same thing with me. I had someone check my alternator and they said it was good as well.

But I was still having the same issues. So, First I check my wires for any loose ones ... but didn't find anything loose.

Just as andrev001, I also said screwed it, returned my alternator to AutoZone and got a replacement anyways ... has worked great since.

So, if you have a lifetime warranty on the Alt ... why not just change it out. Doesn't hurt.

-Ray-

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
totally agree with you. when the a/c is running, it is much worse. i had my car die when i was driving today. haha.
i'll make sure to get another alternator, i work at an auto parts store, so its pretty cheap for me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm glad we could help.
I was able to drive the car for 3 days before I was unable to start or drive it, even after I jump start the car.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats rough man
the mechanic i took it to said to ask this other garage because he said they know everything about everything and they said to slap on another alternator and see what happens haha. he said thats probably it, it may be working to test good, just its not working the way it is supposed to be working

1 - 9 of 9 Posts