Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ford Focus 2.0i Ghia automatic (Zetec) with around 30,000 miles on the clock.

Recently I noticed that there is a small jerk when going from first to second gear. I checked the fluid level and it was overfilled (must have always been) but only by around 1/2 litre. I removed the 1/2 litre and it has improved some but there is still a 1/2 second pause after I
press the accelerator then the car gives a small jerk when going from first to second. It is worse when my engine is hot.

I have not noticed this before, is it normal?

I am concerned that this could be the start of a small problem with my tranny. The fluid looks okay, it is a little bit darker than I would have expected but it does not smell burned and my tranny light is not coming on to indicate a problem (The bulb does work). I can switch overdrive on or off with no problems.

Wanting to be kind to my car I am planning on using Royal Purple in it because of the reports I have heard. I know Ford now recommend 5W/20 for all Ford Focuses so the motor oil seems fairly straightforwards (Does anybody know the TSB number for the oild change because the mechanics here don't believe me). I see that the tranny requires Mercon V fluid, does anybody know whether Royal Purple ATF would be up to the job and if so, what type should I use? Whilst I am asking, what is the best coolant I should use in the radiator?

Also, the tranny is a 4F27E ... I would like to change the fluid but do not see a drain plug, am I blind or something? I assume it is not necessary to remove the pan and that changing it 2 or 3 times will flush out most of the old fluid. If somebody can explain how it should be done that would be great.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I would like to change the fluid but do not see a drain plug"

99%+ of automatic transmissions do not have a drain plug. The traditional method to "change" the fluid is to drop the transmission pan (This is necessary to change the transmission filter in any case.) When you do this, about 60% of the old fluid stays in the transmission. Some people add a drain plug to the pan when they do this the first time (there are "kits" to accomplish this), but I do not care for them because the plug either (a) protrudes down from the bottom of the pan, making it vulnerable to road debris, or (b) is installed on the back edge of the pan, meaning the drain will be incomplete.

Auto shops have a machine which can change 100% of the fluid without dropping the pan; however, this also means that the transmission filter does not get changed.

There are some procedures on the web describing a method to do the above without the machine, by removing one of the transmission lines and running the car at idle while the fluid is pumped out by the normal transmission flow, but I am skeptical of these methods as it seems to me to present a risk of running the trans pump "dry," if only for a few seconds. Which is not good for the pump, even for a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
best thing to do i have the fluid and filter changed at the same time at a shop....also...adding a tranny oil cooler could help you out there...my dad's mazda did this and once we installed the tranny cooler it made a world of difference in the shifting when hot.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Heck, I just didn't want to order a new gasket"

I just changed mine on a 2005 Wagon and they no longer use a gasket -- just silicon gasket sealer/maker. I much prefer the old gasket method, as cleaning the silicon gasket material off the pan was a PIA.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Yeah ^^^ I'm seeing that on more new cars, just goop. I prefer a gasket as well..

You can stick with 5w30 as well if you like, it is fine in the focus. I , as others have said, would drop the pan and do the filter at the same time. A bit of a pain , yes, but worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Some people add a drain plug to the pan when they do this the first time (there are "kits" to accomplish this), but I do not care for them because the plug either (a) protrudes down from the bottom of the pan, making it vulnerable to road debris, or (b) is installed on the back edge of the pan, meaning the drain will be incomplete.

and most of the time if they do have a plug they will break, dropping the pan is the easiest

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Yeah, the thing to remember is that if you lose you engine oil, you will get a warning light (although some damage is likely). But if you lose your transmission fluid from a broken drain plug, you will receive no warning until severe damage is likely to have been done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, I will drop the pan, I can just use a liquid gasket and I will order a filter ... nobody knows the German words for liquid gasket and tranny filter by any chance do they?

I want to run everything with Royal Purple if I can ... which for the tranny and which for the engine?

5W20 for the engine from eBay
Not sure if they have a Mercon V compatible version for the tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts