Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running two Rockford P1's and a Rockford Punch 300 amp. My question is : What size capacitor do I need for this setup? Its 300 watts total so I was thinking I would only need a .5 farad cap. Am I wrong with this? I'm not exactly sure how a cap works, so any help would be sweet.

Thanks,
JFrye

·
Registered
459 Posts
You shouldn't need one at all. If you have issues with your lights dimming excessively, then upgrade your car's battery cables, and headlight wires with heavier wiring. A cap is just a quick 'fix' for this problem, but it's best to just do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
is it the p300-1? if thats the case its more like a 1000w amp if you look at the birth sheet. Still though that amp is pretty efficient and you should not need a capacitor

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
i got a cap the other just havent put it on yet. It acts as a second battery which there for gives you more power and saves your cars battery. also the lights wont dim.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A good way to pick a cap is that you will need 1 Farad per 500 watts RMS power output. A 1 or 2 Farad would be perfect for you amp. But with caps and batteries bigger is always better. Especially if you have the possibility of a more powerful amp in the future.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From my understanding...a capacitor has nothing to do with helping to save a battery. The main purpose of a capacitor is to draw electricity from the battery, store it, then release it faster than what the battery could do. Since most amps are located in the rear of the car, it has to draw electricity all they way from the front. By being able to release the power extremely quickly closer to the amp, it gives better bass response from the sub and creates sharper bass hits. There is also another option called a batcap which is a combination battery and capacitor. That would help save the battery to a point when running the stereo with the engine off and has a better chance of keeping lights from dimming.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
I farad would be fine for it. It is a good idea to do the "big 3" also and will help in other ways too, but a cap should be used with most systems

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you do the Big 3 you will be fine [thumb]

Exactly my point. With the stuff he's running, he doesn't need a cap. I hate it when (some of these other) people automatically think they need a cap. For a system that size, a cap is a bandaid for a bigger issue. Don't [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] rig shit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The headlights dont dim at all. Its just the rest of the lights that get dim enough I think they are gonna go out. As for upgrading battery cable size, how big should I upgrade them?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm running two Rockford P1's and a Rockford Punch 300 amp. My question is : What size capacitor do I need for this setup? Its 300 watts total so I was thinking I would only need a .5 farad cap. Am I wrong with this? I'm not exactly sure how a cap works, so any help would be sweet.

Thanks,
JFrye
I would add an extra battery and a 1 Farad Cap, if the lights are still dimming you will need to upgrade the alternator or add another. Rockfords love to suck as much power as you can give them and in return they make you very happy cause they perform there asses off.[wave]

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
hey i have a p6001 bd (love it) and i dont have a cap or the big three (yet) my headlights dim but you cant even notice unless im up against a building or somthing...would the size of the amps power wire affect this?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yers the power wire should be at least 4 gauge to 1 OT(welding Cable) to be sufficient and you also need the battery and alt power to keep it happy, and trust me a true stereo buff can tell when the lights are dimming on your car without being up to a building, give it some more juice my man you won't believe the difference in volume.[lockdance] [lockdance] [clap]

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
if its the amp i think it is i can tell you it draws no more than 40 amps and would not require an extra battery or a cap....can we get a pic of the amp or the model number please???

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
300W isnt nothing i think. i'd get a .5 farad capacitor for ever 500W RMS. wouldnt hurt to get one though.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its the Rockford Fosgate Punch p300-1. Dont currently have any pictures of it. I have an HID kit in the car which is why the headlights dont dim, but the interior lights seem to lose about half their power when I'm not moving. Once I start getting the RPM's up more the lights are fine. I figured the alternator is starting to go out, and adding a capacitor is a temporary fix until I can get a new alternator. I'm picking up 2 more 12" P1's and another 300-1 amp next week, so I will definately be replacing the alternator. Will the capacitor help me out until I can get the alternator though?

Thanks,
JFrye

1 - 16 of 16 Posts