Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay not too familiar with capacitors and applications.

Here it is...

SUB:
10" Kicker solo baric L5 sub in ported truck box (to retain trunk space) 450 watts rms 4 ohms total impedance

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2068TS10L5/Kicker-08TS10L54.html

AMP:
Kicker mono sub amp 200 watts rms @ 4ohms @ 400 watts rms @ 2ohm

I am not sure what ohms are (other then a measure of resistance), I have tried a bit of searching on google but havent really figured out what any of it means but....

okay

1. so would i need a cap to run this setup in a 2008 focus ses?

2. The sub is a 4ohm total impedience sub. The amp is rated at both 2ohms and 4 ohms... Since it is a dvc sub i can wire it to safely operate at either 2 or 4 ohms, correct?

3. If # 2 is true, then i just make sure the voice coils are wired in parallel, so it will operate at 2 ohms and then use the 400 watts rms from the amp instead of just 200?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
no you wouldnt "need" one, but one may help add life to the battery and alternator. a cap helps when the sub hits a low note. instead of pulling from your batt/alt it pulls from the cap and the batt/alt dont have as many amps drawn off of them. i have a 1 farad stinger cap on my 800.1 and 2 12's.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
if you have a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub you can run both voice coils and bridge the sub down to 2 ohms and run the amp at 2 ohm stable at the 400w instead of just wiring up one set of voice coils and using only 200w. this will make your sub twice as loud.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you have a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub you can run both voice coils and bridge the sub down to 2 ohms and run the amp at 2 ohm stable at the 400w instead of just wiring up one set of voice coils and using only 200w. this will make your sub twice as loud.
well its a mono amp so would it still have a bridged mode?

the page on crutch field says i can lower a 4 ohm sub to 2 ohms by wiring two 4 ohm subs in parallel, but since it is a dvc sub, wouldnt just wiring the coils in parallel be the same thing?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
no you wouldnt "need" one, but one may help add life to the battery and alternator. a cap helps when the sub hits a low note. instead of pulling from your batt/alt it pulls from the cap and the batt/alt dont have as many amps drawn off of them. i have a 1 farad stinger cap on my 800.1 and 2 12's.
agreed.. if you have the money, might as well buy it. It aint going to hurt you, but with that type of setup and being that your car is newier, it probably wont do anything to ur alternator. I have one 12 in sub in my 00 focus and the lines dim bad when i crank the jams. I have yet to install my cap.. soon tho, too lasy to install it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
a dvc 4 ohm sub has 2 2 ohm voice coils to create a total 4 ohm load. wiring these up in seris will give you a 4 ohm load total
(2 ohms on positive and 2 ohms on negative)
wiring these straigh to your mono amp your amp will see a 2 ohm load. for some unexplained reason/ witchcraft it does this.

HOWEVER I MIGHT BE WRONG!!!!

best way to figure it out is to use the woofer wiring wizard at rockford fosgate. com and yeah get a cap the effect will be notceable at night. (crank it without the cap once youll see the lights dim)

Reactions: Derek Zoolander

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a dvc 4 ohm sub has 2 2 ohm voice coils to create a total 4 ohm load. wiring these up in seris will give you a 4 ohm load total
(2 ohms on positive and 2 ohms on negative)
wiring these straigh to your mono amp your amp will see a 2 ohm load. for some unexplained reason/ witchcraft it does this.

HOWEVER I MIGHT BE WRONG!!!!

best way to figure it out is to use the woofer wiring wizard at rockford fosgate. com and yeah get a cap the effect will be notceable at night. (crank it without the cap once youll see the lights dim)
thanks that rockford website was exactly what i needed!! +rep

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
sweet good to hear and glad i could help. now pics of the setup!!! lol.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet good to hear and glad i could help. now pics of the setup!!! lol.
well just looking into the components for a xmas gift... so will do once i get them all and begin the install... prolly will do a cap at a later time though and just keep it relatively low for now...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but i will need some advice on installing the LOC or whatever its called once i get started cause i really have no idea how to hook it up

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
totall easy.

read the instrutions to determine which set of wires does what.
hook left converter to rear left out on hu. if you cut and splice please solder it in place!! hook right converter wires to right rear out (obviosly following pos and neg accordingly) then there will be an other wire or two those are teh remote turn on for the converter. this needs to be wired to the remote turn on for the hu or your subs wont get a strong clean signal. then hook your rca's to this and away you go

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Honestly for that set-up you wouldn't need a cap, but if you have the money then go for it. Run the sub at 2 ohms, here is what you want to do. Do that and you will be getting the best possible with that setup. A cheaper way for the current draw is the Big 3, seen here. That will prevent your lights and other things from dimming. Hope this all helps, and keep us posted with what all you choose.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
prevent lights from dimming = get projectors and hid's.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
prevent lights from dimming in a zetec= fixing alt plug for teh 15th time ,lol.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
prevent lights from dimming = get projectors and hid's.
have them already so i should be good. So as far as the loc, caan i install that by the rear speakers rather then behind the headunit cause its a pita to get at teh 08 unit. aand as far as a remote turn on, if i am running stock i can just use a fuse adapter thingy i saw posted here a while ago

1 - 18 of 18 Posts