Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 ford focus zts
2.3 auto

Spun a rod bearing and engine seized. pulled the old engine and dropped in a new one but it won't turn over. I have verifying that all the plugs are connected and all hose and line secured I still can't get it to fire. The new motor is from a wrecked focus, same year, same model and the yard verified it turned over before pulling it. They have been around since the early 70's so one could assume they know what they are doing. I could only find 2 ground lines, one under the battery (which wasn't touched) and the other to one of the trans housing bolts. Did I miss another somewhere? I replaced the coil packs from the old motor thinking one of those were bad. I'm at a loss, I can't think of anything that would keep it from firing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crank but no start and yes I remembered the block to battery ground, although I might not have it attached to the right spot.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Listen for the fuel pump to go brrrrrrrr when you turn the key on. If you don't hear it, go check the fuel cutoff switch in the passenger kick panel. It might be tripped. If you can't push it down, then it's probably not tripped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel pump buzzed and the fuel line was charged, at least until I pull the line off the rail and got a face full of gas. BLECK! Seems there's no spark...

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If it was cranking, it should fire. Check to see if your coil is damaged or plugged in completely. Sometimes the coil wires will pull out of the connector. Use a timing light or spark tester to verify you have spark. Don't do that nonsensical stuff of removing the plug and cranking the engine while holding a plug against the block. You've already gotten gas in the face, that would cause you to strike it- or any other fuel that might be around. There is an ignition fuse to check as well.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Seems like the usual culprit, is the crank sensor. Did the car you got the engine from have an automatic also ? If not the crank sensors are different.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Seems like the usual culprit, is the crank sensor. Did the car you got the engine from have an automatic also ? If not the crank sensors are different.
Ahhhh, I should've put it in the Engine Swap Forum already.

Moved to Engine and Transmission Swap forum.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
sensors are the same, its the bracket thats different. (this could be diff for a 2.3 though) if the engine was out of a 5 speed that could be the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you everyone for you input. sometimes it's the simplest things that drive you mad! It was a dead cell in the battery. Dropped in a new battery and BINGO!! we are rolling once more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts