Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wondering if you guys can help out. Car is dead on the driveway right now. Weird that I couldn't even use my car key remote to open the doors, have to insert in the keyhole to open it. I called tow truck guys for a boost thinking it might be a battery problem. Turns out it wasn't since their booster shows green and car still won't start even with the booster connected.

We then tried putting it on neutral so we can push it out the garage for a tow, but we can't seem to put it on neutral. The little button you push on the shift stick to switch gears is locked. I've heard of interlocks before but I can't find it anywhere. I have an 2012 SE sedan. Do you guys have any idea how I can put this thing to neutral so I can get them to tow?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Once on this pdf link go to pages 272 & 273
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOCFOC/~MUS~LEN/40/12focog2e.pdf

It sounds like you have this problem
BRAKE-SHIFT INTERLOCK
This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents
the gearshift lever from being moved from P (Park) when the ignition is
in the on position unless the brake pedal is pressed.
If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of P (Park) with ignition in
the on position and the brake pedal pressed, it is possible that a fuse has
blown or the vehicle’s brake lamps are not operating properly. Refer to
Fuses and relays in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.
If the fuse is not blown and the brake lamps are working properly, the
following procedure will allow you to move the gearshift lever from P
(Park):

Instructions
1. Apply the parking brake, turn the
ignition key to the off position and
remove the key.
2. Using a screwdriver (or similar
tool), carefully pry off and remove
the passenger side access cover.
Remove the fastener, then remove
the console side panel to expose the
inside of the shifter assembly.
3. Locate the brake shift interlock
lever on the passenger side of the
shifter assembly.
4. Apply the brake pedal. Using a
screwdriver (or similar tool), press
and hold the white brake shift
interlock lever forward while pulling
the gearshift lever out of the P
(Park) position and into the N
(Neutral) position.
5. Reinstall the console side panel and attach the fastener.
6. Reinstall the access cover.
7. Apply the brake pedal, start the vehicle and release the parking brake.
See your authorized dealer as soon as possible if this procedure
is used.

Call your Ford Roadside Assistance Canadian customers who require roadside assistance, call
1–800–665–2006.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be a bit late but thanks for this. Taking out the whole passenger-side panel just to unlock the shifter is a pain to say the least. Most cars have a slot right beside the shifter that you just press.

I've no idea how to take out the car fastener under the access cover without cutting it completely. Once there, It's really not clear where exactly this interlock lever is for the inexperienced, and the diagram didn't really help at all. Look for a rectangular white thing, just parallel to the back of the shifter (at least on the SE). Have someone press that in while the other puts a foot on the break and try to shift to neutral.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a ford fusion 2014 se
I have the problem that the car won't start. When moving it into park, drive neutral you would have to see this in the dash, but you can not see this. I have scan the car and it shows that i have a problem with the neutral panel. I have let a machanic look at the car for me and he is saying thta they have to open up the gear box and look for the problem... Is it indeed such a difficult job to have this done right or to fix it?

Or am i just getting fooled around by the mechanic?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi, I have a ford fusion 2014 se
I have the problem that the car won't start. When moving it into park, drive neutral you would have to see this in the dash, but you can not see this. I have scan the car and it shows that i have a problem with the neutral panel. I have let a machanic look at the car for me and he is saying thta they have to open up the gear box and look for the problem... Is it indeed such a difficult job to have this done right or to fix it?

Or am i just getting fooled around by the mechanic?
Welcome tot he forum!

I see you mentioned a local mechanic. If you decide to head to your Ford Dealership to have this looked at, please let me know. :)

Meagan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts